Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I am feeling bad because I have lobbied so many people. I am not biased. The big thing that gets me is that Avast is apparently not up to snuff.
Hate that because my friend is VERY stubborn and he chose Avast at my behest. I hate to hear that they are mediocre at best.

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
whats wrong with avast are they headed in the wrong direction we make choices in life thats why i dont have many friends it was his choice to choose avast so dont feel bad dude its christmas time dont sweat the small stuff

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I don't think Avast is going down, yes they have added some bloat but nothing that can can't remove my custom installation. Have you been reading AV testing sites or user reviews? because they don't mean anything, Avast still offers good protection, still remains to be very lite and about the only users that have major issues is the users that over-load their security software setups with too many products.

Avast + UAC + common sense will protect you just fine.
Their is no need to add anything else.

Of coarse that applies to all AV's, they will all fail to protect you if you don't utilize UAC and common sense.

Thanks. :D

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
It appears that many reputable AV's are not quite what they used to be.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It appears that many reputable AV's are not quite what they used to be.

It all depends on your perception of what you think a AV should do.
If you expect your AV to block more than 80% of the malware that you are exposed to, then it is a disappointment.

If you understand that most AV's will not be able to block more than 80% of the malware that you are exposed to and your AV is just there to help you while you try your best to safely browse the web and download files, avoid malware contact by your own actions and utilize Windows default security features, then you will not get disappointed.

Too many users want to set back like they don't have to do anything for security but depend on their AV to do all the work.
In return no matter which AV they use, they still will get infections.

AV's can only protect users that are careful, pay attention and want to learn.

In about the last 5 years or so, the only time that I got a notice from my AV that a threat was blocked is when it detected a false alert.
Malware can easily be avoided today if a user wants to learn unlike in the past when malware could automatically infect your system just by visiting a bad website using active X controls in old IE. Most malware today is distributed by fake alert sites that fool users into manually downloading and running the infected files. Other malware uses vulnerabilities in out-dated software or unpatched Windows OS and a small percentage transfers using insecure USB devices (of coarse still requires the user to manually run the infected files) since Autorun is disabled for USB devices on modern Windows OS. Browser add-ons are automatically disabled by default on most modern browsers, modern Windows OS has much better security features than before. With all of these nice security features users continue to not be able to control their clicking.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Malware is not what it used to be either.It is now more sophisticated.
I wouldn't totally agree with that statement, malware writers used to rely on mostly exploits in browsers to infect systems which would be successful without any user reaction. Now malware writers use the users own ignorance to fool them with fake alert sites. Most malware today is very simple because it doesn't have to do anything special to get a successful infection. Older malware that targeted Windows XP and before was much more complex because had to hack or exploit to be successful instead of just using fake alerts like most of the malware does today. Older malware was also much more destructive like system killers and disk wipers (true viruses). Today most malware is just simple ransomware, scareware, fake AV's and other Trojans. Of coarse the number of infected systems is much greater today because fake alerts work much better than complex methods to infect systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.