Advice Request Download speed @ 37 kB/sec

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
After intalling ComodoFirewall and setting it to @cruelsister settings, I noticed that my download speed sensibly dropped. From a DSL I'm now running a dial-up while downloading files. Streaming and surfing are good. Emsisoft could be another possible app responsible for this slow down, but I dont remember such slowed downloads when I didnt have CF yet.

The downloaded file was Firefox Portable version, not even a malicious software or something unknown. Of course the download failed at this speed.

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Because people are paranoid. If you want a decent firewall, block inbound connections and focus on hardening your router rather than your device. You could run a small app like Windows Firewall Control or something like that, but it'll get in the way more than it's worth (you'll just press allow on everything unless it's malware, and if it is malware then it's a little late).

Keep your OS updated, keep your software updated (small & portable apps like PatchMyPC are great for this, and can run on a schedule) and use an AV. This AV could be a suite and have its own firewall, or it may not. Running a third-party standalone firewall on a device which will never leave private networks is utterly pointless, and you can just use a VPN on a public network. Comodo specifically is just a buggy, bloated mess and no doubt I will have triggered its beloved users.

Tools like SysHardener and Hard_Configurator are good to have on hand, if you run both ensure you run the former one first. You could change your DNS to AdGuard or Quad9, everything else is security theater which will just make you feel better with no security increase. You want your machine to work and work efficiently, security is important but some people here spend more time fiddling with security software than actually using their device... lol.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
You could change your DNS to AdGuard or Quad9
I'm using Google DNS.

apps like PatchMyPC are great for this
0ed17b59.jpg

Reactions: Vasudev

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.