At-Risk Elmo's Jackhammer 95 Security Config 2019

Last updated
Feb 15, 2019
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
Kaspersky Free Anti-Virus
Acronis Ransomware Protection
X-Virus Anti-Malware
SecureAPlus

:emoji_v:
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
None.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome: HTTPS Everywhere (Forced encrypted connections) Nano Ad blocker (Custom settings), Netcraft, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, Decentraleyes, Nano Defender, Privacy Possum Bitwarden.

Edge: Trend Micro Security, Nano Ad blocker (beta) (Custom settings), Bitwarden
Maintenance tools
BleachBit (beta)
File and Photo backup
None.
System recovery
None.
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
Hewlett Packard
very old = dinosaur machine :p
RAM: 4gb
HDD: 300gb SATA
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

2. This setup configuration does not have a backup plan. We strongly recommend to add a backup solution for your data so that you can restore it in the case of an emergency.
    Backing up allows the recovery of data that has been lost due of a malware attack (eg. ransomware) or a hard disk crash. In such events you might lose family photos, your music collection, documents, or financial data. Backups are fast and simple to perform so it should be done on a regular basis.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Hey all,

Here's my config for 2019!

Let me know if you have suggestions (especially for free backup software)

Cheers!
I think you have too many programs in real time, I would leave only Kas...
I also suggest a backup program that I use and recommend Macrium Reflect Free.
And finally I recommend programs for occasional scans. Kit Emsisoft and Zemana antimalware.
Thanks for sharing.:giggle:

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Many security products in real time without reason. Your pc is very old = dinosaur machine :p RAM: 4gb. With all this programs is turtle.
Acronis Ransomware Protection and X-Virus Anti-Malware is very weak programs and you not need. Kapersky free alone is very good for protection and against ransomware. I f you want combo for extra protection use NoVirusThanks OSArmor and you are super secure. You need Virus and Malware Removal Tools plus for pup and adware detection. Malware bytes free and zemana antimalware free. Backup program Aomei free or Macrium Reflect Free. Thanks for sharing(y)

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I don't think the X-Virus Anti Malware or Acronis Ransomware Protection are needed. All your need is Kaspersky, good browsing habits & a backup solution, you're then good to go.

With backup solution my recommendation would be Macrium Reflect, this product is free and easy to use.

~LDogg

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Elmo's Jackhammer 95:
  • Set UAC to Default, at least.
  • As already commented by previous users, You have an overkill here in real-time protection. I would keep KFA2019 + NVT OSA and/or NVT SysHardened (Suggested Tweaks) or KFA2019 + SecureAPlus (disabling the cloud multi-engine and offline antivirus) and using the Default Deny/Lock Down module (very powerful).
  • Please add an Image SystemBackUp Solution: already commented Macrium Reflect Free, or AOMEI Backupper, would be welcome, both are free and reliable.
  • For Virus and Malware Removal Tools, I would add: MalwareBytes Free, ZAM
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, hanks for sharing :giggle:

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
In case you don't know the difference between UAC "default" and "do not dim desktop" - default and above show the prompt in a secure desktop, hence the dim and slight delay which prevents other applications displaying anything over it, etc.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
As privacy is ever a concern (if you have not already done this)
  1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More
    More
    and then
    Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  4. Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings
    and then
    Cookies.
  5. Turn Allow sites to save and read cookie data on or off.
Block cookies from other sites
You can allow cookies from the site you visit, while blocking cookies from other sites that own ads or images on the webpage. To block these third-party cookies, turn on Block third-party cookies.
All cookies and site data from other sites will be blocked, even if the site is allowed on your exceptions list.
Source: Clear, enable, and manage cookies in Chrome - Computer - Google Chrome Help

Thank you for sharing your set up.

PS I like your Username, it made me smile. See? > :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.