Status
Not open for further replies.

Prayag

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
Can anyone tell me what these functions do?
What tweaks should be made to these features so that it may improve protection without compromising usabilty?
As these mechanisms extend their protection to the vulnerable processes of windows that could easily be exploited by malwares, how can they really help in detecting process hollowing or injection attempts.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
imo this is the element of Comodo security that ties it all together. Bascially, Comodo monitors Windows script hosts based on your choices in the command-line/embedded settings and then also the use of embedded scripts. This is done separately from the rest of the program...unconditionally. If something wants to run a script you will see a -> heuristics alert. If it tries to use script contained in another file (embedded script), Comodo takes a portion of the script and creates a file with that portion of the script in the file. You will find those files in C:/Program Data/Comodo/CIS/tempscrpt. So then the embedded script can only run based on whether you choose to allow for that tempscrpt file, which Comodo considers an executable. Basically, this converts what would be a memory operation into a file form so that its use can be monitored.

I have enabled all of the heuristic command-line protections including embedded ones, and I recommend doing so for everyone. That said, you may run into a situation where a single legit application creates a temp file which is used by a script someplace. In this case, if the file is randomly named and is used by script, the tempscrpt folder can potentially gradually fill with separate files that pile up one by one each time you use the application. Chances are you won't ever run into this however. The only one I see like this is from 360 browser extension which uses a script to remain connected to the main 360 Total Security application every time I start Chrome. I guess it has to do with 360 being able to alert to possible malware drive by attempts and then maybe to check the settings to make sure secure shopping is still enabled, etc. It's the only app I have seen have this issue, although I have seen the Comodo monitoring work very well on batch (cmd.exe) and other script files. Highly recommend enabling them all. Very unlikely you will have issues.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
heuristic command line analysis
This is what stops scripts from running, if you click on a .js file or whatever.

embedded code detection
This is your post-exploit protection, in case a browser or another app got exploited, and tries to abuse a script interpreter.

Like @AtlBo said, you should enable as much as you can. And you can even add to them, such as PowerShell_ISE.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.