Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1.0.35 BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
But some are still using Outlook. Please explain to me why Outlook integration is now obsolete for safety. Maybe I am not understanding many things. Thanks.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Not sure why they removed Outlook and cookie scan, anyone explain? :S

Surtur

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 11, 2013
The email plugin does nothing more than to scan e-mail attachments. The same takes over the Emsisoft Anti-Malware File Guard also, at the latest when the email attachment is executed (depending on file guard configuration). Furthermore, the attachment is also considered by the behavior analysis when it is running.

Reactions: NSG001
D

Deleted member 178

there the explanations from Emsisoft; i like when a vendor remove the bloat/useless features instead of adding some (follow my eyes ^^)

Scanning emails while they are downloaded just shifts the point of detection a little bit back, so there is no real gain for overall protection. The realtime guard would stop any email attachment at the moment it is extraced from the email or started anyways.

Our aim is to provide the most effective protection software with little overhead and with the least possible performance impact. With that strategy in mind, it was a mistake to even create and release those Outlook plugins. In the end they caused more troubles than advantages, since the Outlook API is extremely unreliable and leaves frustrated users if it often crashes.

Additionally we had to realize that today, Outlook via POP3 makes only a minority of the total email users since webmail, other email clients and IMAP protocol became more and more frequent. We can't provide solutions for those because of technical limitations, so it was just logical to drop Outlook support too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.