Battle Emsisoft Mamutu vs PC Tools ThreatFire

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeN

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2011
Mamutu monitors in real time all active programs for dangerous behavior and blocks malicious activities. It recognizes new and unknown trojans, backdoors, keyloggers, worms, viruses, spyware, adware, and rootkits (Zero-Day attacks), without the need of daily signature updates. Mamutu gives you full control over internal system activities. It's small but very powerful. Mamutu saves resources and does not slow down the PC.
ThreatFire offers real-time prevention of virus and malware infections by identifying suspicious behavior ("zero-day" events) as it happens, before malicious code installs itself on your PC. Formerly known as CyberHawk, ThreatFire has made some dramatic and noticeable feature improvements since it was bought by PC Tools.
ThreatFire seeks out rootkits, heuristics-based threats, viruses, worms, Trojans, spyware, adware, keyloggers, and buffer overflows. The software real-time protection didn't noticeably slow down our computer, and the customizable advanced settings were excellent. Users can pick and choose their preferred trusted processes and create rules for detection, such as scanning for SCR files created by an e-mail client. You can also avail yourself of the scheduler, and create a system restore point before moving threats into quarantine. The IntelliScan took about 15 minutes on our machine, but it didn't lock us into scanning mode. We were still able to check out other panes in the ThreatFire interface.
The only problem encountered was that occasionally, threats would be detected but without a name label. This made it hard to determine if they were genuine or false positives. ThreatFire has improved markedly, though, and working as a complement to your currently-installed antivirus it should be considered a serious protection tool.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I would say PC tools ThreatFire.
Mamutu is, in my opinion, for advanced users only, it has rather complicated pop ups and seems to want to be a classical HIPS at the same time as a behavioural HIPS, yet it does not quite accomplish either.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I think we should have a "C" choice on this one. Personally, for myself,
the choice is "none". I tried Mamutu and for some reason on my PC, it
conflicted with SBIE.
Threatfire, I have never used it but as far as I know its development is
not being taken too seriously. That plus the known issue that, sometimes,
computers end up with a useless keyboard after uninstalling it keeps me
from recommending it and is the reason that I never tried it.

Bo

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've used Threatfire before and must say its good BB and I remember before the best tweak level to set was level 4 caused if it was put in 5 some legitimate program may flagged. In Mamutu. cannot comment since I didn't use it.

D

Deleted member 178

i should rather use Mamutu, threatfire is reputed to be a ressource monster ( i read a big thread on it on wilders, by a member who bash it professionally^^)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
From my experience, I would say that ThreatFire is a very good free BB that goes well with plain AVs like MSE. I haven't tried Mamutu though, :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I've used both in the past and it's a close race,both products are very good.
The majority of the users will most likely go with ThreatFire since it's free.

For some reason ThreatFire had a considerable impact on my system.
ThreatFire comes with a Rootkit scanner and gives the user the possibility to create advanced rules to further increase the system protection.come of the These advanced rules settings allow a user to setup a sort of alarm system on their system.
In addition, ThreatFire includes default rules such as host file and screensaver file protection (.scr files). ThreatFire also has hundreds of preconfigured rules that are constantly monitoring the whole system for viruses.
[attachment=454]
[attachment=455]
Mamutu has some features that could make it the "no.1 choice" :
Captcha protection when something or someone is trying to shutdown the program,which can be useful when an active infection is trying to kill your security.
[attachment=447]
Intelligent alert reduction - Enabling this feature means Mamutu reduces alerts on legitimate system files
Paranoid mode - Reports additional suspicious program starts and applications with a suspicious or Malware-similar file layout. (the option is deactivated by default and is only recommended for advanced users)
[attachment=448]
With Mamutu you can modify behavior-blocker components and also reset to 0 the number of detected behavior patterns.
[attachment=450]
Also another important feature is the option that allows a users to manually add files to be quarantine which lacks in ThreatFire.
The alerts from Mamutu seem to me clearer and the community-based rating on the alert could help a user while trying to take a decision (sadly though sometimes a user can get a "No available rating" ..which doesn't really help)
[attachment=449]
[attachment=451]
As for their general UI... I do like Mamutu user interface more... it's better organized and more user friendly.
[attachment=452]
[attachment=453]
The main problem that I see in the future for both products is the simple fact that more and more security products come with their own behavior guard...so 3rd party behavior blocker won't be very need it.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 632
  • wizard_alerts.jpg
    wizard_alerts.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 593
  • alert.jpg
    alert.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 594
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 607
  • PCA213.feat.threatfire-420-90.jpg
    PCA213.feat.threatfire-420-90.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 846
  • threatfire.jpg
    threatfire.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 649
  • securitystatus.jpg
    securitystatus.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 637
  • threatfire5.png
    threatfire5.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 685
  • 22.png
    22.png
    142 KB · Views: 674

new user

Jun 18, 2011
You don't need either, it's mostly overkill. Besides, people seem to forget that there is no security against stupidity (not calling you or anyone else here stupid). A little bit of common sense can get a long way. Now if you had to go with either, it's threatfire.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Viking said:
ThreatFire for me!
It's a good product but I feel like it isn't maintained properly.Symantec should really get more involved in the developing of this product....
Anyway rynesandbergfan23 did a test on Mamutu. Enjoy :

Mamutu Test and Review
Uploaded by rynesandbergfan23 on Oct 3, 2011

Last edited:

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
As good as ThreatFire is, the lack of active development is weighing against it - I suppose that's what we pay for its price tag :). I too have experienced some performance issues with it. Symantec are most probably utilizing the BB technology in their paid/branded products?

I've always liked Mamutu, has been trustworthy, nimble and docile. As for the cost, there are enough Emsisoft giveaways around to take the fact that it's a shareware out of this comparison.

Mamutu for me [even though I'm using it in EAM and not as a standalone ;)]

P.S. Why do I bother posting anything after Jack has posted his extremely detailed and informative views? :s

D

Deleted member 178

NathanF1 said:
P.S. Why do I bother posting anything after Jack has posted his extremely detailed and informative views? :s

because he has the bad habit to post a good one before all of us :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
NathanF1 said:

Your views are just as important as anyone else. :D

As for the topic, since more AV companies are adding behaviour guards in their products, the less point of using a standalone BB. Just as how Anti-Spyware software once was.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Might I remind you of this test between the two products on stand alone.

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpJeYgQ1uF4

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.