ESET Announces Raft of Security Additions in Version 10 Release

Do you know all the new features available in ESET 10?

• Yes

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Only some of them

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Source: New Version 10 additions boltser encryption and security

Speaking at a press event in Bratislava yesterday ESET’s chief technology officer Palo Luka announced some of the new encryption features that have been added as part of the company’s Version 10 release of its consumer security software, which launched last month.

“Version 10 was probably the smoothest and best release so far,” Luka claimed. “The features are pretty remarkable,” and are detailed below:

Script-based Attack Protection
Detects attacks by malicious scripts that try to exploit Windows Power Shell. Also detects malicious JavaScripts that can attack via your browser, with Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge browsers all supported.

Luka explained that this new protection is especially useful in defending against “the worst kind of malware that you can get these days when you are a home user or a consumer”, which is ransomware.

Protection Against Ransomware
This adds another layer of protection against especially nasty types of malware. This layer is tracking processes and activity, thus alerting the user if a suspicious behavior is taking place.

Home Network Protection
This addition allows users to prepare for IoT threats in the home, enabling them to test their home router for vulnerabilities. What’s more, it also provides an easy-to-access list of connected devices.

“Often we don’t even know what’s connected to our networks,” Luka said, “so we figured it might be really useful to provide people with some sort of audit of what’s in their network.”

Web Cam Protection
Constantly monitors all the processes and applications running on a user’s computer to see which ones want to use the webcam – alerting the user to any that try to access the web cam unexpectedly and lets them block them.

ESET Password Manager
Employs AES-256 encryption – the world’s leading standard, as used by the military – to store and pre-fill all passwords with the use of a master password. It can also generate and store extra-strong new passwords each time the user needs one.

“People don’t use good passwords,” argued Luka. “We kept telling people which types of passwords they should use” but they still seem to use insecure credentials online. “This will help you [users] remember and generate very complicated passwords which are different for each site.”

ESET Secure Data
Lastly, this lets the user encrypt files and removable media (e.g. USB keys) for ultra-secure safeguarding of their data, protecting against data theft in the event of USB-key or laptop loss, and allows secure collaboration and data sharing.

Read more: New Version 10 additions boltser encryption and security

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Really interesting . Hopefully they don't fail

Thank you

But...

When they say they test you wifi / router etc ..I don't find them so much useful : for example : If I reset my router pw to default bitdefender or avast can't detect it and say everything it's ok

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
[…] the worst kind of malware that you can get these days when you are a home user or a consumer”, which is ransomware. […]

While professional users and companies are bound to get fined in the tens of thousands if they can't deliver their data in the clear during tax audits. Not important at all. :D

SCNR; that just didn't make sense. Maybe something got lost in the translation. :p

Other than that I'm glad to hear they're on their toes and hope everything works like they promise! :)

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
It looks like a couple of the features namely script blocking and being able to scan your router and attached devices are already in Avast Free. If the features Eset have added are as good as they sound though it looks like a great product.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It looks like a couple of the features namely script blocking and being able to scan your router and attached devices are already in Avast Free. If the features Eset have added are as good as they sound though it looks like a great product.
avast free has script blocking? could you explain a little about that?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
avast free has script blocking? could you explain a little about that?
Avast has script scanning so if a script is bad Avast will supposedly block it. Although it's not a very good feature in Avast it is there and it remains to be seen how good eset's script scanning is.

So just to be clear: Avast scans scripts and if bad it's supposed to block them even though it's not too good. Eset have just given a bit more details about theirs. SCRIPT covers all scripts, yet eset chose to give theirs more alluring term's it's still pretty much the same feature. I'm surprised you didn't know about Avast script protection considering you're a regular poster. As I said it doesn't really work well if at all in Avast but it's there and only time will tell how Eset's script blocking/scanning feature works, again, if at all.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Avast has script scanning so if a script is bad Avast will supposedly block it. Although it's not a very good feature in Avast it is there and it remains to be seen how good eset's script scanning is.

So just to be clear: Avast scans scripts and if bad it's supposed to block them even though it's not too good. Eset have just given a bit more details about theirs. SCRIPT covers all scripts, yet eset chose to give theirs more alluring term's it's still pretty much the same feature. I'm surprised you didn't know about Avast script protection considering you're a regular poster. As I said it doesn't really work well if at all in Avast but it's there and only time will tell how Eset's script blocking/scanning feature works, again, if at all.
thanks for explanation.
when I heard that term, script "blocking", I got interested, because that's what the AVs should be doing: blocking scripts, not just pitifully scanning them.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
thanks for explanation.
when I heard that term, script "blocking", I got interested, because that's what the AVs should be doing: blocking scripts, not just pitifully scanning them.
I agree. I think the AV industry are aware that many tech savvy users are already moving away from sig based configs so they're coming up with fancy terms for the same features. Just marketing in my opinion, although I hope I'm wrong and Eset's script blocking is indeed a solid new feature.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I have full trust in Eset, I used NOD 32 V8/9 for a long time, and it has never disappointed me, starting from the excellent code implementation until the detection ability.
I can say according to my experience and I believe that the V10 delivers on its promises.

D

Deleted member 2913

I have full trust in Eset, I used NOD 32 V8/9 for a long time, and it has never disappointed me, starting from the excellent code implementation until the detection ability.
I can say according to my experience and I believe that the V10 delivers on its promises.
I would say, dont give too much credit to Eset...YOU are The SuperHero with sidekick Eset kept the system safe all those years:)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ransomware protection is something that needs a thorough craftiness in order to meet the accurate and efficient, so let ESET perform the job.

ESET is already known to have rapid and good detection rates, but of course their cloud should gather more intensive detection especially during uncertain scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.