JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I have purchased a new laptop and I want to use ESET or G Data on it.
I have used these two AV some years ago on my other PCs but I don't know what is the best choice currently.
Thanks for your advices and comments.

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Hello JB007,
I voted for ESET, because it should be easier and faster to your system with its Single-Engine. G Data is much heavier at taking system performance.
ESET's reaction time to new malware is also one of the best. ESET and Kaspersky are one of the first, which have new definition files for new ransomware/trojans all the time. BitDefender is much slower there - so I guess, G Data will be slow there, too.
G Data only got the advantage that it's using a dual-engine for scanning, but you could compensate it by using Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Zemana AntiMalware Portable for regular scanning of your system.
So the facts: With G Data, EEK and Zemana you only have three engines and three virus definition databases. (BitDefender, Emsisoft PUP/PUA and Zemana)
By using ESET you have four engines and four virus definition databases (ESET, BitDefender, Emsisoft PUP/PUA and Zemana) - so you should reach a higher detection level with ESET and that second opinion scanners.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
ESET for a midrange computer, G Data for high end computer.

In regards to detection rate, both are good enough, since in a real world scenario, unless you are clicking every link you find in the web and download everything u find, chances of you getting infected with something that is very new are slim.

ESET has its perks, but as usual, its HIPS need to be tamed. G Data works out of the box just fine (but bit heavier in terms of I/O on some aspects compared to ESET)

cimmay

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Eset has the best live support. Even without license they'll initiate a phone call, remote session, quickly answer email.

The "Ease of Use" is really good. Just open the setup and each option has a big ? icon, if clicked a web page opens up to explain it in plain English. Can just keep going down the list to find help understanding everything.

Last edited:

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Both offer best protection. GDATA with one of the best behavior blocker in the market, Eset strong with tweaks (Hips). Eset is lighter on old hdds, but on modern systems with ssd there is no difference. My vote goes to the dual-engine-av Gdata

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Since you are looking for an Internet Security Suite, besides having strong malware protection, you have to consider the network protection features like its firewall, anti-ARP/IP/MAC/DNS, IPS, DoS detection/protection, SPI etc as well

ESET IS has the following features

Botnet protection
ATP
Network attack protection
Script-based protection
Exploit blocker
UEFI bootkit scanner
SSL/HTTPS filtering
PUP/PUA protection
....and more

Compare them to G Data IS and see for yourself.

G Data IS 2018 review

Ransomware protection - One point to note of this G Data IS feature. It only protects against encrypting Trojans. This is indicated in the menu of the video review above at 0:47 / 14:10

I think it does not protect against Petya (or similar ransomware) which overrides the MBR without encrypting files or hard drives.....I maybe wrong here.

ESET IS 2018 review

:)

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Since both of them will protect kind of the same (like all antivirus in 2017) i'd choose the one that fits your system the best. I'm pretty sure it will be ESET since it's much more lighter on every kind of PC and much more customizable (and user friendly). My vote goes there.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I have decided to ESET Internet Security because I find it more smooth.
My new question, is it useful to add it MBAM or HitmanPro.Alert or Zemana AntiLogger ?
(NB: I have active licences for all of them)
Thanks.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello,
I have decided to ESET Internet Security because I find it more smooth.
My new question, is it useful to add it Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or HitmanPro.Alert or Zemana AntiLogger ?
(NB: I have active licences for all of them)
Thanks.
Welcome to the team.

I use ESET Internet Security paired up with VoodooShield and that's all. I tweaked through all the settings to achieve maximum lockdown and i think that's all i need (complemented with safe habits). I would not use MalwareBytes at all, not even as companion. Zemana Anti Logger features are not a big deal but you could use it with ESET without any issues.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Avoid G-Data like the plague. It's heavy, gets dismal results in tests and worst of all, they try to compensate for their product's failings by banking harder and harder on the "Made in Germany" cliché rather than take responsibility.

Avoid ALL Antivirus, sage comportment.:geek:

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Welcome to the team.

I use ESET Internet Security paired up with VoodooShield and that's all. I tweaked through all the settings to achieve maximum lockdown and i think that's all i need (complemented with safe habits). I would not use MalwareBytes at all, not even as companion. Zemana Anti Logger features are not a big deal but you could use it with ESET without any issues.

Thanks @RoboMan :)

Avoid ALL Antivirus, sage comportment.:geek:

@Prorootect , not sure to understand what you mean:unsure:

Reactions: frogboy

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
[QUOTE="HarborFront, post: 688844, member: 55987"

I think it does not protect against Petya (or similar ransomware) which overrides the MBR without encrypting files or hard drives.....I maybe wrong here.
:)[/QUOTE]
It does protect :
G DATA customers are protected

The current variant is detected by all G DATA solutions as Win32.Trojan-Ransom.Petya.V as well as Trojan.Ransom.GoldenEye.B. Other proactive modules such as ExploitProtection as well as AntiRansomware offer added protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.