ESET Mobile Security vs Sophos Mobile Security

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Nothing to say about Eset, one of the best antivirus in every context but the full version is paid.
My vote goes to Sophos, which is free and without ads (currently).
It provides a good protection, plus additional functions, but above all it provides web filtering against malicious, undesirable or illegal content; that's one of the few free antivirus apps that integrates a web filter function.

ant_gamal

Level 5
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
I tried Eset paid - eset free and sophos

I tried eset paid 2 years ago in my old tab light and powerful

Sophos is heavy when I try it for sometime . I removed it and install eset free

Eset free has same engine as paid the different is auto update definition database in paid free update is manually only

Free one as paid scan app first before installing( this feature in many antivirus )

Some additional feature you can use in paid only

If free or paid go for eset and I see free one is good if you compare this 2 product only

But

Also bitdefender is awesome I use it now as 6 month giveaway and free one also same engine as I red that it light also

But I did not try the free one and the difference I do not know

Also AVG and zemana I tried all paid one by giveaway is good
Zemana have anti-keylogger which other have not also it have lifetime license
AVG get malware in app others did not catch ( I install appz from not official stores)

I want to try Avast paid and Kaspersky but no giveaway available

If you need only protection you can go for free
If you need extra like anti-theft and publishing backup web protection Wi-Fi protection go for paid

According what you want you choose the antivirus cos every one have one feature not in the other one

And if you download from official google play only and check permission you can neglect antivirus in your phone

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I've been using these two recently so I thought I'd resurrect this thread and share my views.

As far as I know Sophos doesn't have a paid version, but Eset has.

Sophos first. In my opinion it is unquestionably the best free mobile antivirus. Unlike the majority of free apps, it has web protection, and is also the lightest of all similarly featured free android AV's I've tried, although not a light as Eset, but a lot lighter than the resource heavy Avast, which, unlike Sophos, also has rather annoying ads. I also found Sophos much lighter than BitDefender, and very different to the figures in this test:
https://www.geckoandfly.com/17030/android-antivirus-malware-security-app/

Virus definitions are updated automatically but one slight criticism I have is they don't appear to be updated at all over the weekend, even if you try to do so manually.

Eset free is the lightest of all the android AV's I've tried, but unfortunately, unlike the premium version, it has no web protection and it doesn't update automatically.

So to conclude, if it has to be free, Sophos is the clear winner. A little heavier than Eset free but fully featured. Right now I am using Eset premium simply because I have some free keys. Otherwise it would unquestionably be Sophos.

Reactions: spaceoctopus

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Some things good about Sophos Mobile Security are

1) It's free
2) It's ads free
3) Protects in real-time (not just scan files after downloading)
4) Has surf/web protection which is available in almost all paid AVs

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
ESET for me. I find it better than the Sophos product in many areas.It is a well designed app.

But Sophos is a good app too.In free products it's the easily the best. The thing that made me remove the app is that it has too many FPs. Too much suspicious stuff that are recomended to delete.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.