Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
ESET Blog: Windows XP Security can be upheld past its end-of-life operating system

The goal of this white paper is to explain how to set up Microsoft Windows XP for use past Microsoft’s April 8, 2014 End of Life (EOL) date, until such time that it can be replaced by a newer, more secure operating system.

This white paper explains how to make a new installation if Windows XP more secure, but such advice should not be construed as guidance on how to make it as secure as newer versions of Windows. There is no way to do this other than to install a newer version of Windows.

No third-party security software, no matter how effective, can take the place of regular security updates provided by a vendor for its operating systems and applications. The goal of this paper is to explain how to keep Windows XP as secure as possible until it can be replaced.

It’s probably surprising to see a blog post discussing Windows XP’s security in 2018, except perhaps when mentioning the operating system in a historical context. Yet today, ESET is announcing the publication of a white paper on how to maintain this well past its end-of-life operating system.

To be clear, ESET is not advocating the use of Windows XP in this day and age.

Windows XP is an insecure and out-of-date operating system and we do not recommend using it when newer and more secure operating systems are available.

The paper itself is 47 pages in length; if that sounds like a lot of information, you may be right. While much of the information in this paper is aimed at home users and small businesses, IT professionals who support Windows XP in an enterprise environment may still find a few useful tips.

Download the white paper here.

Mecanik

Level 1
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Well they did it because believe it or not, too many people are still using Windows XP. Why... well there are many reasons, poor hardware, etc.

I myself have commercial software and I was "forced" in a way to make a working version for Windows XP too, at first I refused but after I saw how many people were requesting it around the world I was like... :eek:

So I guess ESET want's to maintain a good reputation and relationship with Windows XP users even in 2018 and on going.

PS: I hate that OS, simply the worst, most insecure OS ever built.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

LOL! Even publishing a paper on it is acknowledging it even exists.

An interesting thing, a couple years ago Fortinet started to block XP machines from connecting to Fortinet controlled networks through device identification. Now it's pretty much default setup to block XP machines from communicating to a network as it opens the threat surface way up and is simply too risky.

XP guys are strange breeds.. Like they are trying to 'prove' something.. What they are trying to prove I have zero idea, or zero care. By this point, if their machine is too much of a potato to run a modern OS then they should have converted those XP machines to a light Linux Distro and stop playing security theater with XP and making themselves look ridiculous. Let it die people!

Mecanik

Level 1
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Yeah but you see, as I said there are many reasons why people are using it. Take one very good example countries like PH, people are very poor and cannot afford today's PC prices... so they settle with a Pentium II :
maxresdefault.jpg

And they are happy. Also many internet cafe's are still using Windows XP. The list is endless of "reasons to use Windows XP".

D

Deleted member 65228

Windows XP is one of the worst Windows OS's to ever exist regarding security.

I do not actually understand how people can think they are taking security seriously when they are using Windows XP. Occasionally, you will find someone who is using Windows XP and claims to prioritize security whilst trying to justify using Windows XP.

Software incompatibility here or there, privacy issues here or there... News flash, Windows XP is still insecure regardless of your justification.

I still remember when physical memory was exploited to patch kernel memory from user-mode (e.g. the System Service Descriptor Table). I believe it happened at-least twice, once on Windows XP and once on Windows Vista.

Mecanik

Level 1
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
The only way you will ever understand this fascinating species of humans that use Windows XP is by blending into their lifestyle and adapting their habitat :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Iapepe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.