Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ess_product_screenshot_blend.jpg

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I would have Comodo firewall with Nod32 and not windows firewall because of Comodo's Defence+.
I think that a lot of internet security products are a waste of time, because the things that they provide in their internet security programs are just wasting money and compatibility with other programs, the only part that they are good at is a part that you can install separately for less of a price.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I agree,
my point was that ESS4 as a security suite can't really offer a larger degree of protection than NOD32 with the basic Windows 7 Firewall.
The only valuable feature in ESS is the antivirus component.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Yeah I agree with what you both say, there is no denying that ESET offer a rock solid AV, but the suite does not justfiy the cost nor what they offer.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Yes.Right now ESS ,in my eyes, is a class C suite (NIS,KIS,CIS,Vipre,Zone Alarm being in the A class) :D

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
elliotcroft said:
Jack said:
Yes.Right now ESS ,in my eyes, is a class C suite (NIS,KIS,CIS,Vipre,Zone Alarm being in the A class) :D
What do you think about PC Tools Internet Security?
I did tested/used PC Tools for months now,to be quite honest PC Tools (like G-data) has always been ,on my system, a resource hog.
Since Symantec bought the company PC Tools improved ...I might make a quick video test these days :D

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Jack said:
elliotcroft said:
Jack said:
I did tested/used PC Tools for months now,to be quite honest PC Tools (like G-data) has always been ,on my system, a resource hog.
Since Symantec bought the company PC Tools improved ...I might make a quick video test these days :D
I use PC Tools Firewall on a few of my computers, and their resource usage is fine.
Symantec have nothing to do with the operations of PC Tools, they own the company but they maintain separate operations.
Matousec's Proactive Security Challenge shows that Symantec should really look into PC Tools a bit more.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
elliotcroft said:
Jack said:
elliotcroft said:
Jack said:
I use PC Tools Firewall on a few of my computers, and their resource usage is fine.
Symantec have nothing to do with the operations of PC Tools, they own the company but they maintain separate operations.
Matousec's Proactive Security Challenge shows that Symantec should really look into PC Tools a bit more.

Really? Think I'm going to have to have a play with it (any excuse needed will do right!).

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I tried different PC Tools products about a year ago. Since I just have a med/low-range laptop (1.73GHz dual core, 2GB ram), it was pretty slow. I like CIS because of the control I get with Defense+, and it doesn't use much resources.

ballader1

Apr 14, 2011
Well, ESET has no 0-day components (Behavior Blocker,HIPS etc.) so if a threat gets through (it will surely, signatures and heurs aren't enough) the pc gets infected.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes and with the upcoming version 5 it has a HIPS so surely it will made better than this version.

ballader1

Apr 14, 2011
@jamescv7 Really? That would be nice to see from ESET, but they should have added it before(well i guess Beter late than never).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.