Eset Smart Security Info Needed

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Firewall default setting is set to auto - This means there will be no popup from firewall, right?

If email clients is not installed on the system, email client protection & spam protection can be disabled, right?

Under Application Modification Detection-
Detect modification of network-aware applications
Enable detection of application modification - enabled by default, does this generate popup?

Under system integration - Postpone personal fw module update until a computer restart - mouse behaved erratically so dont know if this was checked or unchecked by default, plzz tell me if by default its checked or unchecked?

Is smart security as lights as the AV i.e no system, browsing slowdown, etc...?

Do I need to do changes in fw for torrent or torrent will work with no prob?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Firewall default setting is set to auto - This means there will be no popup from firewall, right?
Yes, there will be no popups, except some in some "extreme" situations
If email clients is not installed on the system, email client protection & spam protection can be disabled, right?
Yes you can, but I didn't disable it, if you don't have any mail clients the module doesn't use any resources
Under Application Modification Detection-
Detect modification of network-aware applications
Enable detection of application modification - enabled by default, does this generate popup?
Yes it will, everytime you update some program or app it will alert you that it has been modified. Also, if some malware modifies some program (never happened to me) it will alert you
Under system integration - Postpone personal fw module update until a computer restart - mouse behaved erratically so dont know if this was checked or unchecked by default, plzz tell me if by default its checked or unchecked?
Default is unchecked, don't change this setting
Is smart security as lights as the AV i.e no system, browsing slowdown, etc...?
It's one of the lightest AVs on the market
Do I need to do changes in fw for torrent or torrent will work with no prob?
Torrent client will ask to use IN and OUT connections to work properly. No need to manual configurations

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yes, there will be no popups, except some in some "extreme" situations

Yes it will, everytime you update some program or app it will alert you that it has been modified. Also, if some malware modifies some program (never happened to me) it will alert you

Torrent client will ask to use IN and OUT connections to work properly. No need to manual configurations
Popup will be like allow/block option, right?

It will alert means just notify or a popup with allow/block option?

Do you mean torrent client when started will require to do some changes? Coz I use qbittorrent & it doesn't ask anything. And as Eset FW is in auto, it too didn't asked anything?
Is this fine for torrent to work properly?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Popup will be like allow/block option, right?

It will alert means just notify or a popup with allow/block option?
Yes it will alert you to choose if you want to allow, block and remember this action (create a rule for both decisions)
Do you mean torrent client when started will require to do some changes? Coz I use qbittorrent & it doesn't ask anything. And as Eset FW is in auto, it too didn't asked anything?
Is this fine for torrent to work properly?
ESET firewall will automatically configure allow rules for it (if in Auto Mode)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yes it will alert you to choose if you want to allow, block and remember this action (create a rule for both decisions)

ESET firewall will automatically configure allow rules for it (if in Auto Mode)
Just to clearify, you mean when in extreme cases fw popup will be there, I will have to allow/block on the popup, right?

And when "detection of application modification module" will detect something, it too will give a popup with allow/block option, right?
Will this generate quite a few popup i.e could be little chatty?

So no need of manual port forwarding for torrent, right?

I am having 1 minor prob with ESS. This prob was not there with EAV that I uninstalled for ESS.
On Internet Explorer & chrome, I use adblock plus.
Chrome is fine.
But on IE, ads appear for 3-4 secs & then blocked.
And some popup windows that adblock use to block, they sometimes appear & disappear & sometime appears but dont disappears i.e I have to close the popup.
Any info? This is the only prob I am having after installing ESS. Tried reinstall ESS too but the same prob. When ESS was uninstalled, prob was gone.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Just to clearify, you mean when in extreme cases fw popup will be there, I will have to allow/block on the popup, right?
Yes, but you probably won't get attacked, ESET will block those by default and alert you
And when "detection of application modification module" will detect something, it too will give a popup with allow/block option, right?
Will this generate quite a few popup i.e could be little chatty?
It will generate one popup for one app
So no need of manual port forwarding for torrent, right?
No
I am having 1 minor prob with ESS. This prob was not there with EAV that I uninstalled for ESS.
On Internet Explorer & chrome, I use adblock plus.
Chrome is fine.
But on IE, ads appear for 3-4 secs & then blocked.
And some popup windows that adblock use to block, they sometimes appear & disappear & sometime appears but dont disappears i.e I have to close the popup.
Any info? This is the only prob I am having after installing ESS. Tried reinstall ESS too but the same prob. When ESS was uninstalled, prob was gone.
I don't use Adblock for IE, and use IE just to download Chrome in the first, so I can't help you with that...

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
It will generate one popup for one app
Actually I am planning to install ESS on my family system used by 3 average users.
So I am wondering if this module will give popup for the updates/upgrades of softwares on the system then there will be quite a few popups which they will not like.
Should I disable this option?

And how to enable parental control only to block adult sites?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It will only give you an orange or red notification icon for Windows updates.If you have Windows updates set to notify in Windows, this is not necessary in ESS.You can disable it by following this(I have it disabled on mine)

1zpsd1k.png

ESS 8 Parental control setup
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2796

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have disabled that option.

I accidently selected Public for my network. I want to select Home for my network.
How can I do this?

When we allow or block something on popups, how to change that?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I meant if I set FW to interactive then there will be popups, right?
So when allowed/blocked, if later I want to allow something, how can I do this?

And selecting Home for my connection is good, right?
Or should I select Public? There is no network here i.e all the other systems connect through my router i.e my wifi.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
And selecting Home for my connection is good, right?
Or should I select Public? There is no network here i.e all the other systems connect through my router i.e my wifi.
Everything is very well written, you just need to read ;)
1p5IcLB.png

I meant if I set FW to interactive then there will be popups, right?
No. On Interactive mode there will be a popup for each app that tries to get IN/OUT connections without predefined rule created.
So when allowed/blocked, if later I want to allow something, how can I do this?
qOVLMBW.png

JClCSTl.png

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yesterday i.e on the first day of Eset install, I had prob with net browsing.
I dont know if it was due to Eset or my internet had some probs.
But today all is fine.
But yes I changed my network from Public to Home in Eset settings. I dont know if this was the reason.
Does selecting Public for my connection affects internet browsing i.e page loading slow or some site having prob?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I uninstalled Eset & tried Comodo Internet Security & Avast Internet Security & still had the prob.
So its Adblock Plus prob on Internet Explorer.
Previous version was fine. This latest version has this prob.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Uninstalled ESS & installed EAV.
With ESS, sometimes web pages were loading slow & sometimes keeps on loading. I checked disabling AV but the prob was not solved. The moment I disable FW, website loads on the spot.

With EAV, browsed continously for quite a long time & no such probs.

With ESS, I checked few times speedtest too & everytime download speed was around 2.78mbps & upload 3.25mbps.
I have a 4mbps connection. With EAV download & upload speed was everytime around 4mbps.

So guess I am happy with EAV & Win 7 FW.

Every FW affects speed & gives little slow down on my system with 4GB RAM.
Only Comodo Internet Security is one software thats light for everything on my system.

But other average users on this system doesn't like CIS & dont want to install 2 softwares i.e FW & AV from different vendors.

So EAV & Win 7 FW combo best on the system.

Thanxx frds for the valuable support & time.

If any more query, will definitely trouble you.

Keep up the good work.

Regards
Yesnoo

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
If I opt-out of Eset Live Grid, do I lose any protection?
Or ELG is just for sending unknown files hashes?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If I opt-out of Eset Live Grid, do I lose any protection?
Or ELG is just for sending unknown files hashes?

I don't recommend disabling it, because you could end up in the scenario where your infected, and its a zero-day or script not seen by ESET or any vendors before, and with Live grid disabled, you will never receive help until someone else gets infected that is using Live grid.

Live grid will send the data and samples to be looked at and investigated by the research team, then sent back to you ready to clean up your system. (In a very very short sense)

Disabling it will not cripple or render your security software vulnerable. Just less features and more privatized for your data and malware situations.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/2369-disabling-eset-live-grid/ (Check the reply post of ESET Moderator on the following link(

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.