Advice Request Evorim Free Firewall

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
I did a quick test a few months ago when I saw another user posting a comment about it, its basically pretty pointless, you basically get twice the need of user interaction, if youre going to get the most out of it you need a lot of custom configuration, the only thing I can see it be useful for is detecting malware.

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I like Simplewall, too. However, I sometimes wonder about the "longevity" of security apps that are one-man operations -- such as Henrypp for SimpleWall, Dan for VoodooShield, ultim for TinyWall, & Andreas for OS Armor. Thus, one thing that I like about Evorim FW is that it is maintained by an organization rather than by a 1-man outfit.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
There is the thread about it on Wilders
It's maybe not revolutionary but rather stable and solid.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I WAS using simplewall (it's a backup if needed now.) I know use BWMeter. I like the flexible configuration settings. And I can have a meter bar in the task bar/tray to see any activity at a glance.

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I began a trial of Evorim FREE Firewall (FW) 3 weeks ago. I have continued using it because:
1-it's easy to configure & has a well-designed GUI
2-it offers the option to block Microsoft telemetry
3-it's very light on system resources
4-it provides SUPER-easy app control
5-its alerts are rare and, when they occur, they offer excellent info on exactly what user is blocking or allowing.
6-it offers a gaming mode
7-it was first offered in 2016 & has been in continuous production, and updated as needed, ever since.
8-even though the Firewall is free and has ZERO ads, it is produced by a for-profit organization instead of a 1-man hobbyest.

Last edited:

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
For now I am sticking with Simplewall, it "simply" works and I get my notifications and it PAUSES the connection!!!
EVERY FireWall (FW) that can even be called a real firewall will stop an unauthorized connection. There are 2 ways of stopping an unauthorized/un-whitelisted connection:
1) Default-deny -- the FW instantly kills the connection. The connection is blocked, defunct, ka-put. If user wants to allow that application to make a connection, he must go to the firewall's application list & manually reset that application from "Block" to "Allow." Tiny Wall is an example of a default-deny FW.
2) Pause -- the FW stops the connection but doesn't kill it. Instead, it asks the user if he wants to block or allow the connection to take place. Once the user makes a decision (block or allow) the FW will act accordingly. MOST firewalls fall into this category, including Simplewall, Evorim, Fort Knox, et alia.

NOTE: A default/deny FW can be a PITA (Pain In The Anatomy) but it can be a lifesaver for Aunt Fluffy, Joe Sixpack, pubescent teens with raging hormones, & other users who get impatient during a FW's "learning" period and start stabbing the "Allow" button without thinking.

tnodir

Level 3
Well-known
Apr 19, 2022
2) Pause -- the FW stops the connection but doesn't kill it.
Most firewalls kill the connection.

E.g. Simplewall, Evorim firewalls show events about blocked (and killed) connections in the prompt window.
Simplewall even says that "Connection was blocked" (not paused) in the prompt window.

E.g. Portmaster pauses the connection and has Prompt Timeout setting.

Last edited:

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
@bellgamin - This is super cool. I am experimenting these days with network monitoring/firewall etc and keen to give this a go. If I can ask for your input (since I have seen you talking about firewalls both here and on MT):

1. Are there any stability issues you encountered with Evorim?
2. Does it show all connections? For instance, if I use a torrent for downloading a movie and it connects to many peers in different countries, can it list all of that? or would that be classified as DNS monitoring and it doesn't do that?
3. Lastly, have you tried Safing portmaster or glasswire? if you have, do you have any opinions.

Sorry for the questions but since you know more about this, I thought I will ask. Thank you in advance good sir!

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
@bellgamin - This is super cool. I am experimenting these days with network monitoring/firewall etc and keen to give this a go. If I can ask for your input (since I have seen you talking about firewalls both here and on MT):

1. Are there any stability issues you encountered with Evorim?
2. Does it show all connections? For instance, if I use a torrent for downloading a movie and it connects to many peers in different countries, can it list all of that? or would that be classified as DNS monitoring and it doesn't do that?
3. Lastly, have you tried Safing portmaster or glasswire? if you have, do you have any opinions.
1- Very stable so far
2- It doesn't have a connections list -- none at all
3- I BRIEFLY tried Glasswire & then Portmaster. Each of them provides a good firewall & detailed network monitoring. If I were a System Admin or IT, I would use Glasswire. Since I am not in either of those two roles, I have no interest in dealing with that much data for just me and my sweet little laptop.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Although Evorim is complete in alerting to outbound connections, it is not always specific as to what applications that the alerts belong to. The user must be aware that there often isn't an immediate reaction to either valid system thingies or totally non-valid malware, thus one needs the knowledge enough to know what to allow and what to block. For example, a svchost alert may be valid, but a syswow64\svchost may not be.

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
...thus one needs the knowledge enough to know what to allow and what to block. ...
Aloha Cruel Sensei !!

My Firewall Strategy (Patent pending):
When in doubt,
Block it out.

Rationale:
Wrong BLOCK = minor inconvenience ( IF something gets interrupted or broken).
Wrong ALLOW = MAJOR inconvenience (IF a nasty gets connected).

As the song goes:
You gotta know when to hold 'em & know when to fold 'em.

Last edited:
Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.