ExploitBlocker's Security Config 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExploitBlocker10

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 4, 2015
Security Setup of my gaming desktop I custom built. Since its only used for Steam and some light web browsing I have no need for extreme security other than a ad blocker for the web. Windows Defender has improved even more as well in the latest Creators Update for Windows 10. I know it is a simple unobtrusive setup with little in terms of fail safes, but that is what my brain is for and I have no worry of being infected.

Reactions: ZeroDay and given

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would consider a system & data backup solution no matter what you use it for.
I would also recommend an on demand scanner(s) which will not effect the lightness of your config.
All in all a nice Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Reactions: given and shmu26

ExploitBlocker10

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 4, 2015
I would consider a system & data backup solution no matter what you use it for.
I would also recommend an on demand scanner(s) which will not effect the lightness of your config.
All in all a nice Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)
Thanks, for backing up, is there any free and simple no fuss solution.

Reactions: given

ExploitBlocker10

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 4, 2015
mwb is good too and has more features like blocking malicious/potentially malicious websites and better real-time protection IMO. but zemana is good at what it was designed for and uses less resources which makes it perfect for on-demand
Okay another question, why have a separate on demand scanner, when I can always run a scan with Windows Defender?

ExploitBlocker10

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 4, 2015
a separate on demand scanner is like a second opinion. sure WD is good at detection (esp with creators update) but it probably wont catch everything as no security software is perfect
That's a fair point, idk why I didn't think of that as I am taking a Security class:D. Sometimes my mindset of simplicity overrides common sense.

Reactions: given and frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Fine configuration out there. :)

You may add CCleaner as your daily maintenance software to clean some junk files, that will not affect your overall task. ;)

ExploitBlocker10

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 4, 2015
Fine configuration out there. :)

You may add CCleaner as your daily maintenance software to clean some junk files, that will not affect your overall task. ;)
I use to be religious about using CCleaner but lately (past 5 months) I've become the person that just expects it to work and doesn't bother with extra maintenance stuff, and if something doesn't work it's getting nuked and clean installed. I still swear by it for clients computers with years of accumulated logs, caches, and temp files. Oh don't forget the 10gb of junk sitting in the Recycle Bin. ;)

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
If you find backing up with Macrium Reflect is a bit cumbersome (I'm not saying I do, but I know a few who do) a snapshot tool (i.e. AX64, Comodo Time Machine, Rollback Rx, etc) might be a better fit. Keep in mind that both programs work in tandem, so you can grab even Rollback Home Edition or Comodo Time Machine (both free) to ease up on the time constraints of Macrium.

Food for thought at least.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you allow OneDrive client to run in the background and sync files? What's the startup impact like? Or do you use the OneDrive UWP?

ExploitBlocker10

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 4, 2015
Do you allow OneDrive client to run in the background and sync files? What's the startup impact like? Or do you use the OneDrive UWP?
I do let it run in the background and backup all my important files automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.