Extending Chrome support for XP users until April 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
On April 8, 2014, after more than a decade of powering many of the world’s computers, Windows XP will officially retire. Like all technologies that come to their end-of-life, the XP operating system and most of its desktop applications will no longer receive updates and security patches. Since unpatched browser bugs are often used by malware to infect computers, we’re extending support for Chrome on Windows XP, and will continue to provide regular updates and security patches until at least April 2015.

We recognize that hundreds of millions of users, including a good chunk of current Chrome users, still rely on XP. Moreover, many organizations still run dozens or even hundreds of applications on XP and may have trouble migrating. Our goal is to support Chrome for XP users during this transition process. Most importantly, Chrome on XP will still be automatically updated with the latest security fixes to protect against malware and phishing attacks.

Read More

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google: We should be able to get those last remaining soon-to-be non-supported IE6-8 users to Chrome. /market-share.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'.. the XP operating system and most of its desktop applications will no longer receive updates and security patches.'
- I feel fine without these cumbersome updates - that will clog XP .. and lose its value after a few days with the updated malware, I think ..

'We recognize that hundreds of millions of users, including a good chunk of current Chrome users, still rely on XP. Moreover, many organizations still run dozens or even hundreds of applications on XP and may have trouble migrating.'
- Sure, because XP are the best Windows version. Use some anti-virus solution et you're safe to surf Internet. It's sufficient for me. I never play the games.

.. but I don't use Chrome, which contacts Google evil.
- I have the advantages of Chrome, without contacts with Google, because I use SlimBOAT web browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.