Advice Request Extra layer needed, or not?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
System hardening is an excellent protection step but it requires understanding as I mentioned earlier. Let me give a very simple example. It's common that hardening software will stop PowerShell from working, for instance. That's ok if you don't use it for anything but even some very simple tools, such as TCPOptimizer, requires PowerShell to acquire TCP stack information. Also, some of the most powerful Windows maintenance tools require PowerShell.

A common complaint in forums is that some parts of Windows will display a message similar to "this setting has been locked by an administrator/system policy" That is also caused by hardening.

IF you understand what the hardening software is doing, it's amazingly simple to change the setting that is causing you trouble. Otherwise, you'll end up in forums asking for help.

Some other hardening tips, such as do not install Java sometimes is not possible depending on the software you need for your work. I for instance, needed Java installed on my computer up to around 2 years ago because of two different government client software I needed to run on my computers to work. Not having Java installed, simply was not an option. Those tooles still require Java but are now self-contained and do not require a system-wide installation of Java to work just in case you are curious.

So, if you feel your current software is not protective enough and wish to use a layered approach, I recommend you do so, but FIRST understand how the hardening works. There is no "one size fits all" you need to understand what is being done to be sure it will not cause you any unnecessary problem. I'm glad when I see people like @simmerskool and @Guilhermesene saying they took time to understand the tips and instructions before applying. They learned something useful that will avoid them having a lot of trouble in the future.
I still need to take more time understanding H_C more deeply. And saw unexpected side-effect from using H_C firewall hardening earlier today. I was signed in at youtube, watching a cruelsister video!, and when I tried to post a simple thank you reply I got "comment failed to post" in red text! Never seen that before, at first I thought maybe cruelsister had some sort of limitation on her channel, but soon discovered I could not post a comment anywhere. Only thing that comes to mind on my side is the firewall hardening, but I also checked the H_C tool blocked events log, and nothing is shown for today. I suppose youtube may be blocking me, but I'd have no idea why, and if that was the case, I think they'd block my login, not my ability to post.
PS re fw hardening I selected "ADD recommended H_C" ie I did not select, LOLBins, MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, or an external block list. Just now realized logging was "off" but now "on" so I'll go back to youtube and see if anything is logged.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I used H_C, Voodooshield and OSArmor is on my PC now
All of these applications are very interesting and well respected but if you are actually using them at the same time you will not be able to assess one from the other and they will muddle your systems performance, try one at a time to determine which suites your setup best, the simpler the better.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The underlaying topic itself layers, is always an interesting one but I see this thread gone sideways from the first initial post.

This forum have specific sections for example for H_C, Voodooshield etc and instead of risk create a more general confusion for members or guests that read this thread that is posted in F-Secures section, I simply have to lock this thread and ask anyone that want to continue the good debate/talk to do that either in another existing thread or create a new one in a more related and correct section.

H_C

Voodooshield

OSArmor

Security for other Windows related software

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.