Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 16, 2012
which detection is better ?

“real-world” protection capabilities ?

who has a better firewall ?

whose engine and firewall use ?

how they effect on the system performance and system resources ?

who has better support?

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
F-Secure: better than avast in detection (0-day especially), uses Windows firewall, uses Bitdefender engine.
Avast: average detection rate, uses its own firewall and its own engine.

Tried both and non of them had any impact on system resources (might be different with others). in terms of RAM usage I think avast wins in this. but F-secure uses less ram too but I think avast is more little.

about support I really never tried to contact an AV product support.

That's only my opinion so I advice you to run both a trial and see which one you most comfortable with. both should protect you well if you watched your mouse clicks. I mean if you're using the best AV product ever (although there isn't a best product) and you didn't watch your mouse click then you're infected badly! because nothing is 100%

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
F-Secure: better than avast in detection (0-day especially), uses Windows firewall, uses Bitdefender engine.
Avast: average detection rate, uses its own firewall and its own engine.

Tried both and non of them had any impact on system resources (might be different with others). in terms of RAM usage I think avast wins in this. but F-secure uses less ram too but I think avast is more little.

about support I really never tried to contact an AV product support.

That's only my opinion so I advice you to run both a trial and see which one you most comfortable with. both should protect you well if you watched your mouse clicks. I mean if you're using the best AV product ever (although there isn't a best product) and you didn't watch your mouse click then you're infected badly! because nothing is 100%
I don't think avast detection is average, in total (signs, evo gen, deepscreen etc), why do you say that? If you mean only about signatures, you cannot say that only these make a product effective and i believe you know that. xD

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I don't think avast detection is average, in total (signs, evo gen, deepscreen etc), why do you say that? If you mean only about signatures, you cannot say that only these make a product effective and i believe you know that. xD

Actually i would like to mention that the comparison between Avast and F-Secure is like comparing apples and eggs. In other words its BS.
However if we have to nitpick then i agree a 100% with daZa9 he is correct by saying that F-Secure has a edge over Avast due to the whole package combined.
Perhaps that individual modules within both packages could be subject to better or lesser performance compared to its counterparts but F-Secure really does have unmistakable edge. But then again the whole focus of F-Secure is different then Avast so F-secure is in a league of its own here and Avast really does not stand up against it.
But this has nothing to do with the quality of both programs, but more the individual focus and protection strategy behind the program itself.

That said there is however ONE field that F-Secure has a serious advantage and that is its Zero day protection, it is so much more robust and well rounded then Avast that i am not even going to take the trouble to explain the differences.

i hope this helps.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Actually i would like to mention that the comparison between Avast and F-Secure is like comparing apples and eggs. In other words its BS.
However if we have to nitpick then i agree a 100% with daZa9 he is correct by saying that F-Secure has a edge over Avast due to the whole package combined.
Perhaps that individual modules within both packages could be subject to better or lesser performance compared to its counterparts but F-Secure really does have unmistakable edge. But then again the whole focus of F-Secure is different then Avast so F-secure is in a league of its own here and Avast really does not stand up against it.
But this has nothing to do with the quality of both programs, but more the individual focus and protection strategy behind the program itself.

That said there is however ONE field that F-Secure has a serious advantage and that is its Zero day protection, it is so much more robust and well rounded then Avast that i am not even going to take the trouble to explain the differences.

i hope this helps.
Things are really as you say, I just wanted to point out that avast engine along with extra technologies cannot be considered just average. Just that!

Reactions: Nico@FMA
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.