App Review F-Secure Total: Test vs Malware and ID Protection (The PC Security Channel)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The ID-protection " review " was a bit painful to watch as it didn't showed much, other then the UI. It is still today a software, I believe F-Secure should genuine scrap. It simply exist too many other 100% free password managers that is both much more compatible with more browsers, and even include password strength checkers etc.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
The ID-protection " review " was a bit painful to watch as it didn't showed much, other then the UI. It is still today a software, I believe F-Secure should genuine scrap. It simply exist too many other 100% free password managers that is both much more compatible with more browsers, and even include password strength checkers etc.
Yeah I totally agree. I always found it weird for AVs to bundle password managers. I don't think I'd ever want my password management to be locked together with my AV subscription.

I think F-Secure would benefit from shifting some of their priorities a bit. They're doing well overall on the traditional AV part of protection, but I think the areas where they should look to improve would be either offering network-level protection (IPS/IDS sort of filtering, application control firewall) or strengthening the few but serious gaps in their protection (certain kinds of scriptors and exploiting whitelisted binaries)

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
good detection against known malware but against unknown malware is another story. I don't really like antiviruses that depend 100% on cloud protection. Too poor Deep Guard performance when you don't have access to the cloud. That is my opinion, Greetings.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Yeah I totally agree. I always found it weird for AVs to bundle password managers. I don't think I'd ever want my password management to be locked together with my AV subscription.
True, and personal I would never jump with a vendor where I can't even choose to have that installed or even un-install. That is genuine Bloat.

In this case with ID-protection, it's thankfully at least not enforced down ones throat and one actually manually have to click the specific installation package. It's only available online on the F-Secure account. Same thing with SAFE and the VPN Freedome.

robboman

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Disables the signature scanning component, disables internet connection so it can't do any cloud look ups, completely cripples the software.

"Omg some ransomware got through, f-secure needs to improve!"

20201127_124306.jpg

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Sorry, but this words will be not elegant: Leo (PC Security Chanel) is an idiot. I was seeing he's videos, and I hold my head. PC Security Chanel videos dose not reflect the truth about some security softwares.
Robboman written by: "Disables the signature scanning component, disables internet connection so it can't do any cloud look ups, completely cripples the software."
It is the real truth!!! I think, need watch in entirety the Security Softwares. This video was not.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Sorry, but this words will be not elegant: Leo (PC Security Chanel) is an idiot. I was seeing he's videos, and I hold my head. PC Security Chanel videos dose not reflect the truth about some security softwares.
Robboman written by: "Disables the signature scanning component, disables internet connection so it can't do any cloud look ups, completely cripples the software."
It is the real truth!!! I think, need watch in entirety the Security Softwares.
I said it before and I have zero problem say it again. His testing methodology no matter what AV, hasn't really impressed me since the first time I saw him. There's way too many factors he ignores or seems to lack knowledge about. Then on the other hand, the guy would never get much views on videos that is several hours long if he did malware searching and testing like the Hub here on MT.

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I said it before and I have zero problem say it again. His testing methodology no matter what AV, hasn't really impressed me since the first time I saw him. There's way too many factors he ignores or seems to lack knowledge about. Then on the other hand, the guy would never get much views on videos that is several hours long if he did malware searching and testing like the Hub here on MT.
Yes, it is true, and i know what about you say.
Still use you the F-Secure? And are you satisfied?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.