Facebook goes Nuclear, Banning All News Posts in Australia

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Bah, could care less if Facebook just disappeared, would never use it. And why would anyone get news off there, isn't it like Fake News city?? And by fake news I mean the kind that Trumps minions follow. Tax em all I say, before all local news stations and newspapers disappear.
There are fake news everywhere and not only that, but low-qiality content in general. The internet is a tool, how users will utilise this tool is up to them to decide.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Objectively speaking Google, Facebook, [fiction-tech] inc. should not be charged, unless they are officially hosting the channels themselves through a dedicated page, official posts(by themselves) or section in an app. Which they don't. Google for example doesn't host news, it just displays their indexed pages of the subject under the news tab. Technically they are not hosting any news.

If the users themselves share, than the users need to be charged through Facebook (in this case) as the middleman as it's their platform, and they are technically responsible for it, if and when it happens on their platform. But Facebook did on several occasions ask and i think even try to stop such a situation from happening. But ended up back to the censoring solution which they didn't want.

I don't use Facebook, but I just see all sides from outside the box. And well everyone is abusing the situation to some degree.

Last edited:

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Australian copyright law used to be more in line with the US but, somewhat ironically, our big free trade agreement from 2006/7 had a stipulation from the US that it be comprehensively tightened (after much lobbying from Google at the time, I surmise, planning ahead by asking for crocodile clamps on our already conquered search engine market's legal innovation space).

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
The Australian parliament is gone to pass a media law that would make Google and Facebook pay news publishers for displaying their content. Most countries are watching to do the same because nearly 80% of online advertising goes to Google and Facebook. In my country, the newspapers are dying or having a difficult time. Making sure that money goes to the newsrooms is a way to protect local and national identities.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I feel some of the issue is an underlying feeling with Facebook itself by some people & nowt to do with Australia? At the moment at least in the UK it's not going Facebooks way at all as some newspapers & radio sites are urging people to ditch FB altogether (not going to happed) - On a personal basis I dislike FB & how it operates very strongly & don't use it, but having it's wings clipped by this episode might not be a bad thing - I'm followed around the internet by Zuck & I don't even use FB, somehow for me that's not right? So any grief they get over this for me is amusing :):)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
"Australian law could make internet ‘unworkable’, says World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee...

Internet pioneer Tim Berners-Lee has said Australia’s plan to make tech giants pay for journalism could render the internet as we know it 'unworkable'.

The inventor of the World Wide Web claimed that proposed laws could disrupt the established order of the internet.
'Specifically, I am concerned that that code risks breaching a fundamental principle of the web by requiring payment for linking between certain content online,' Berners-Lee told a Senate committee scrutinizing a bill that would create the New Media Bargaining Code.

If the code is deployed globally, it could 'make the web unworkable around the world', he said..."

“Specifically, I am concerned that that code risks breaching a fundamental principle of the web by requiring payment for linking between certain content online,” Berners-Lee told a Senate committee scrutinizing a bill that would create the New Media Bargaining Code."

Ps: Thats what exactly what I thought and wrote here before.

Last edited:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
"Australian law could make internet ‘unworkable’, says World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee...

Internet pioneer Tim Berners-Lee has said Australia’s plan to make tech giants pay for journalism could render the internet as we know it 'unworkable'.

The inventor of the World Wide Web claimed that proposed laws could disrupt the established order of the internet.
'Specifically, I am concerned that that code risks breaching a fundamental principle of the web by requiring payment for linking between certain content online,' Berners-Lee told a Senate committee scrutinizing a bill that would create the New Media Bargaining Code.

If the code is deployed globally, it could 'make the web unworkable around the world', he said..."

“Specifically, I am concerned that that code risks breaching a fundamental principle of the web by requiring payment for linking between certain content online,” Berners-Lee told a Senate committee scrutinizing a bill that would create the New Media Bargaining Code."

Ps: Thats what exactly what I thought and wrote here before.
That is my concern too, actually. Most people out there don't realize, but the internet is still relatively young, and still in its infancy. Invented in 1989, adopted by the first institutions in 1990 as well as the first interim web browser, only in 1994 got it adopted by the first and early 'consumers' of the internet as we know it today.

It's still the cyber wild west, too many things depend on other things, rendering it almost unusable without Google for example. Hell for the most of the average user even completely unusable.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.