Facebook + Opera browser [Speculation, Rumor]

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A very interesting though perhaps a bit far fetched rumor has just surfaced, Facebook is interested in buying Opera, the browser maker. That seems outlandish for a second, but it would make a lot of sense for Facebook and perhaps for Opera as well.

Apparently, Facebook is interested in buying the browser maker. There's nothing too serious at the moment, Facebook is just looking into it, but the simple fact that it's interested is telling. But no other details are available.

It seems though that Opera is indeed looking for buyers as, while it isn't exactly struggling, it hasn't been flying high either, as a company.

Quote: Facebook To Buy Opera? Maybe. Here's What We Hear.
Buying Opera would certainly make more sense for Facebook than to do it all from scratch, but for now this is almost all speculation.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
@EndangeredPootis Would it really be any different to A browser owned by Google?
Id honestly rather have my data being sent to the chinese government (which is the case for Opera and any other chinese software) than my info being used to build a profile of me and sell it to third parties.

(Especially considering the SolarWinds attack which proves how badly equipped the US is at handling cyberattacks)

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I wouldn't wonder if Firefox is next or if Facebook replace Google as Sponsor for ads.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.