Facial recognition fails in China as people wear masks

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Facial recognition fails in China as people wear masks to avoid coronavirus
Face ID fails users as the China coronavirus outbreak sparks widespread adoption of surgical masks

Mask - no more facial recognition.jpg

For hundreds of millions of people in China, the spread of the new coronavirus has caused abrupt changes to the smallest of habits -- even a gesture that most in the country are used to by now: Looking into the camera for facial recognition.
Residents donning surgical face masks while venturing outside their homes or meeting strangers have found themselves in an unfamiliar conundrum. With their faces half-covered, some are unable to unlock their phones or use mobile payments with their faces.
- so masked people has more privacy... and security.
“Been wearing a mask everyday recently and I just want to throw away this phone with face unlock,” said one frustrated user who posted on Weibo using an iPhone.
“Under the current circumstances, for the past two days, I’ve been basically wearing a mask all the time except while sleeping. In times like this, the iPhone’s Face ID doesn’t really work that well,” another user wrote, adding that she hopes Apple will bring back fingerprint unlock.
It’s more than just handset troubles, though. In China, facial recognition is being deployed from train stations and airports to stores and hotels. Some people say they now have trouble entering gated communities protected by facial recognition systems.
“Just came in through the community gate. I was standing under the facial recognition [camera] but it didn’t recognize me,” one user said. “Around two minutes later, I realized I was wearing a mask.”

Still, as cases of illnesses and deaths from the Wuhan epidemic continue to spike, few people are willing to go maskless when traveling outside. In two days alone, Alibaba’s shopping site Taobao sold 80 million masks.

-read more on abacusnews.com ...

*(Abacus is a unit of the South China Morning Post, which is owned by Alibaba.)

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Them people must be tracked.

Each and every one of them...

With the face masks blocking the facial recognition technology --- the Chinese must turn to Butt Recognition.

1580422042734.png

Thanks to @show-Zi and her Japanese engineer pals ----- butt recognition technology exists.

To the long list of body features used to identify a person’s identity – fingerprints, palm design, vein architecture, retina signature, facial recognition, voice, heart pulse, and more – we may now add another part of the human anatomy: one’s butt.

....Japanese engineers have designed what they describe as “butt fingerprint.” Associate Professor Shigeomi Koshimizu at the Advanced Institute of Industrial Technology in Tokyo uses a seat pressure map to generate a web of thirty-nine indices which are used to identify a subject’s rear end.

Laws must be passed in China to prevent people from wearing face masks on their butts. People trying to subvert all-seeing government tracking surveillance could say that they are trying to filter noxious emissions.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@Burrito
The era of giving your ass to unlock your smartphone is coming:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

About the mask. Masks are currently nearly sold out at many drugstores in Japan. It seems to be the influence of people from China and those who buy in bulk for resale.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
Them people must be tracked.

Each and every one of them...

With the face masks blocking the facial recognition technology --- the Chinese must turn to Butt Recognition.

View attachment 233065

Thanks to @show-Zi and her Japanese engineer pals ----- butt recognition technology exists.

Laws must be passed in China to prevent people from wearing face masks on their butts. People trying to subvert all-seeing government tracking surveillance could say that they are trying to filter noxious emissions.
shes hot!!!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.