Fighting Cybercrime with Self-Healing Machines

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
OUR DIGITAL SOCIETY thrives on the successes of science and technology. Connected devices and the information that flows through them are everywhere. Megatrends, like the accelerated pace of innovation and rapid urbanization, will transform our economies and culture. But technological progress is not reserved for the good guys. Digital dependency on a shared infrastructure invites the bad guys in as well. Boris Balacheff, Chief Technologist for Security Research and Innovation at HP, describes the challenge: “The more machines, the more critical our cyber-security problem becomes. Increased attacker sophistication means devices are now attacked at the deepest levels, including firmware and embedded software. In this new threat landscape, we cannot just rely on manual human intervention. We have to change the paradigm.”

For Balacheff and many other experts, this means mapping out a smarter security game plan for the age of distributed devices. Traditional perimeter and software-centric endpoint security will not suffice. Their first line of defense: “self-healing” capabilities at the machine hardware level; not only to detect when they’re under attack but also to shut off and restore the system to a clean working state without human intervention. The response must be quick, as breaches can now have massive economic, social and geopolitical ramifications.
Daniel Dobrygowski, Head of Governance and Policy for the World Economic Forum Centre for Cybersecurity says, “Imagine a future where quantum computing – magnitudes faster than today’s machines – is used only by those who can build, buy, or steal the technology. The competitive advantage for the quantum-enabled companies and countries would be massive. They would have the ability to decide how and whether to share the upsides or launch sophisticated digital attacks not even imaginable today.”

Full story Fighting Cybercrime with Self-Healing Machines

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I didn't read the article carefully, but it sounds like a very simple idea: when the computer gets infected, it restores a system image to last known good state.
Thanks, but I can do that myself.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

We already gave China this technology to use for their missiles. So yes I am sure both China and the USA (NSA) are using super computers right now.

Reactions: given

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.