Figma - The Real Adobe Illustrator Competitor (Free before 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Source: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/dylan-field-startup-figma-to-take-on-adobe-183328097.html

Four years ago, Dylan Field dropped out of Brown University on a whim to become a member of the Thiel Fellowship, a two-year program founded by billionaire tech investor Peter Thiel. After three years of development, his software interface design tool Figma launched on Wednesday for desktop and mobile.

The San Francisco-based startup with 20 employees promises a user interface inside its desktop and web browser app that’s much easier to get around than Adobe Illustrator and features that aren’t buried beneath layers and layers of options to click through. As Field demonstrated, creating an icon of say, a simple mechanical cog, is accomplished in a fraction of the time with Figma versus Illustrator.

Figma’s standout feature is simply called “Multiplayer.” Because much of Figma, and the work designers do in Figma, is saved and crunched on remote servers — instead of traditionally, your computer — two designers are able to easily design things together on the fly, even if one user is in San Francisco and the other is in Dubai. It’s a feature Google Docs users took for granted for years, but one designers haven’t yet enjoyed.

Field and Wallace hope that by offering designers a 3-month free trial — and letting student designers use Figma for free — they’ll be able to build a solid following among the design community, one that still largely relies on tools like Adobe Illustrator. And while they haven’t landed on a pricing plan, Field said Figma would follow a Software as a Service (SaaS) business model, whereby software is licensed on a monthly or annual subscription basis.

Whether or not Figma gains the traction it needs to become a serious player in the design community, Rimer contends software design is ripe for innovation, and Figma has the goods to make a difference.

Visit Figma to get started.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Ridiculous. They want professionals to use this new program they just made and they don't announce pricing. Sure all will all run and get this, learn it and then see if the price is at least same as Illustrator which even if it is such small company can't provide the support Adobe can.
I am sometimes unsure if i am plain stupid or too old and complain about everything but this really doesn't seem right at all.

Reactions: Ramona

ExoGen CyberSecurity

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2016
I installed it, it installs in %AppData% then makes a folder /Figma. The Application is simple, you need to make an account if you wanna use it. I personally don't see how this can be an competitor to Adobe's Illustrator, for me it looks like a scam or some type of trick.

Also, what @SHvFl pointed out can be a very good scenario.

Reactions: SHvFl

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
The only reason Adobe Illustrator has layers and layers of options is because it is a professional platform, unlike this figma which promotes itself to less professional designers. It's like comparing instagram filters with Adobe Photoshop, yes one of them is going to be easier to use but overall if you want control, a more professional option would yield better results.

Also this free thing, combined with it being in the cloud doesn't look good for them. I suspect they might have users pay to use the cloud after their trial is up, and if they don't they won't be able to access their work.

Reactions: SHvFl

jAcos

Level 2
Verified
Aug 9, 2016
WOW! Looks very interesting! Promising indeed if you still use CAD for special drafting (not layered drafts/designs and all). Work collaboration seems to be great but still need to test if if does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.