File-Detection Test September 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/detection-test/238-file-detection-test-october-2012

X54xG.png

sJqM9.png

cQuU9.png

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Whoa there webroot, What happened there?

Crazy many FPs, 20% Missed, and less than 80% detection.

O_O
Wonder what happened to AVG too :S

But, Kudos to GData, Avira, Trend, and Panda!

I hope AhnLab and MSE improves.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Response from Webroot :

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2127682&postcount=16

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
Free antivirus like Avast free and Fortinet FortiClient Lite performed real good compared to some of the paid softwares....

BTW, Webroot's false positive is toooo much, expected better performance from AVG :(

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hmmm, and everyone things that Trend is not the best :-/

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
McLovin said:
Hmmm, and everyone things that Trend is not the best :-/

Hopefully not anymore!
Trend really improved in their 2013 version, I was really impressed.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
3link9 said:
Hopefully not anymore!
Trend really improved in their 2013 version, I was really impressed.

That's what I think but others have to disagree. :-/

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
They didn't want to take part in the on demand tests and therefore couldn't take part in any avc tests, but this being the on demand test even if they were still allowed to take part in avc they wouldn't be in this test regardless

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ctrlaltdelete said:
It should be mentioned that the malware samples were at least 7 days old.
No wonder most products score 99%.
This is why is sadder to see, a score like 80% from Webroot SecureAnywhere....And what's even more important than this detection rate, is the fact that Webroot got a 'crazy many FP's' rating in the False Positive test..

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Jack said:
ctrlaltdelete said:
It should be mentioned that the malware samples were at least 7 days old.
No wonder most products score 99%.
This is why is sadder to see, a score like 80% from Webroot SecureAnywhere....And what's even more important than this detection rate, is the fact that Webroot got a 'crazy many FP's' rating in the False Positive test..

This kind of static test is getting old. Can be a good marketing tool for the developer if they scored among the top. It didn't take the account of the overall protection that each products has to offer.

Now we live in a 3D world no more 2D. People who takes this kind of test as their holy grail should think twice and look from another angle or view point.

In my opinion the dynamic and performance test is more worthwhile to consider but AV-Comparatives put a ransom to it. So why waste big money for this kind of test if the product looks bad, on contrary it's a very good security program.

I find the very high false positives rather strange, it's very low on my side probably it's because of the way how WSA classified new and unpopular applications which isn't up in their cloud database.

For the info there are many changes with the recent version of WSA in comparison to the one that was tested here.

:D

ctrlaltdelete

Oct 9, 2012
Agreed, Webroot SecureAnywhere AV would do better in dynamic tests for sure. I did test it for a short while, and it's not really an on-demand scan app. It was the same with Prevx 3, didn't detect all the samples during a scan, the PX5 code of the particular sample was not in their database yet. As soon as i executed an undetected sample, it was blocked and the PX5 code was sent to the database to protect other users.
Guess it's the same with WSA, it's created by the same main developer.

The File-Detection test shows that the popular MSE still misses 5% of the samples after 7 days. It's also performing really bad in the MRG Flash tests. Still a lot of people think that if it's popular, it must be good. That's sad....

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I usually await their whole product dynamic test as I agree 100% with bizket. Trend is doing something rigght there. I had got a tip off from some of my friends saying that Norton 2013 is not upto the mark. Even Security for everyone reviews by 7tutorials gave Norton 2013 a stay away rating. Maybe I will get a review.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
One fact you have to consider when it comes to AV-Comparatives.
They are known to use malware samples that are not widespread in the wild.

Some of the malware samples have never once been reported as an infection on a system.

AV vendors are more concerned about the widespread infections that users are more likely to get. It is not there job to detect every single malware sample especially the ones that have never been reported as a verified infection.

To myself and most other users, we are more concerned about the malware that we are most likely to encounter.

Who really cares if your AV doesn't detect malware samples that you will never come in contact with?

Thanks.:D

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Many of us give comments that this types of test does not have great effect and we should not take it seriously but of course it is useful for general people who cannot commit test of malware like we do and hence don't know about the capability of detection of their av.
The second good thing these types of test do that they make pressure on av vendors so consumer can get a good return of their money as well protection.

"Paranoid" user hover around and try different av product but a "Regular" user install an av once and have faith on his product.

Lastly if someone don't do some dangerous stuff and visit safe sites he is almost safe with even a simple av+firewall along with on demand scanners as Mbam and Hmp.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.