Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Mozilla plans to release Firefox 5.0, Firefox 6.0 and Firefox 7.0 by the end of 2011, following the acceleration of its release schedule per the Google Chrome model.

Now that Firefox 4.0 has been all but wrapped up, RC1 will become Final and be served to users starting with March 22nd, 2011, Mozilla is already looking to the next major version of its open source browser.

Mozilla’s Robert Sayre published a draft of the new rapid release process for Firefox, Which the open source browser vendor wants to embark on after shipping version 4.0 next week.

Now, I must underline that Mozilla has yet to embrace a new development process for Firefox fully, and that changes to the current draft can still be introduced.

But if this won’t be the case, users could see major versions of Firefox being shipped once every two months or even sooner instead of waiting over a year for a new iteration.

Under this system, there is a choice to ship a general Firefox release at week 16 and every six weeks thereafter. That doesn't mean a release will happen every six weeks, but the option will be available,” Sayre stated.

Only Firefox 5.0 would need to cook for a full six weeks after 4.0 hits general availability before it will be released.

Firefox 6.0 would just take another six weeks to deliver. And Firefox 7.0 could be offered just six weeks later. And so on and so forth.

More details - link

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As long they will release stable and no problems its ok.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Mozilla held Firefox 4 in beta testing for several months and now suddenly announce that they will release 5,6,7 to a difference of only a few months .... seriously? :dlb:
I just hope that Google or Microsoft don't have any major release this year because then Mozilla will have to wait to Microsoft and Google move , before releasing another major version of their browser...You know..like they did with FF 4 .... waiting for IE 9 to get out and then BOOOOOMM! FF 4. ( LAME!)

techgeek88

Mar 16, 2011
Firefox used to be my primary browser. Keyword "USED to".

They went downhill in my opinion. Bad performance, RAM usage, etc etc. I made the switch to Chrome full time 2 years ago and I haven't looked back since. I'm now running Chrome 10 and I couldn't be happier.

I did try Firefox 4's last beta, and IE 9 final and I can say Chrome is still the fastest, most secure, and easiest to use from my tests. I will test FF one more time when it goes final, but comparing Mozilla Firefox 4, Internet Explorer 9, and Google Chrome 10, there is no comparison. Google clearly takes the cake here IMO. Fast JavaScript performance and nice security features. Chrome FTW! ;)

In fact, Firefox used to be better than IE. But comparing IE 9 to FF 4, I think IE 9 is better! Here's how it goes in my opinion from best to worst. Chrome > IE > Firefox if we are talking current versions. Firefox is disappointing now to say the least. Chrome is best, IE9 is 2nd best. Cannot recommend Firefox. I recommend IE 9 for average home users and Chrome for those who want the speed and performance.

Rant over! :D

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Tech, I use Chrome too, and it works very well. I had to switch from Firefox because of high resource usage. I never liked IE...too slow, and often too vulnerable. And I tried Opera, but a crashed a lot (not the thing you look for in a browser). I might try Opera again, to see if the bugs are worked out, but I'm happy with Chrome.

And I don't care much if Google is spying on me. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.