Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Neowin.net said:
XE3nL.jpg

In November, Mozilla's software development team decided to shut down development of a long awaited 64-bit Windows version of its Firefox web browser. At the time, Mozilla Engineering Manager Benjamin Smedberg said the reason for the cancellation was due to many third party plug-ins not having 64-bit versions.

That decision did not sit well with many Firefox users, and apparently it did not please many on the Mozilla development team as well. In a new post this week on the Mozilla Google Groups support page, Smedberg admitted that "there was significant negative feedback" on the move to cancel Firefox Windows 64-bit development.

Read more.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well, at the moment I'm kinda using a 64-bit version of Firefox. It's called Waterfox. :)

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
McLovin said:
Well, at the moment I'm kinda using a 64-bit version of Firefox. It's called Waterfox. :)

yes heard of it is it good? btw i migrated to chrome been one year may be ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
House_maniac said:

It's really really good. I used to have these hangs with 32-bit Firefox, and I some how found out about Waterfox and gave that a try and then went to the same webpage and didn't crash. Only thing is, some addons may not work, i.e a Trend addon didn't work at first because it didn't reconise the browser I was using, till I contacted Trend and works fine now. ;)

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
McLovin said:
House_maniac said:

It's really really good. I used to have these hangs with 32-bit Firefox, and I some how found out about Waterfox and gave that a try and then went to the same webpage and didn't crash. Only thing is, some addons may not work, i.e a Trend addon didn't work at first because it didn't reconise the browser I was using, till I contacted Trend and works fine now. ;)
i was a diehard firefox fan too then i just migrated to test chrome and fell in love with it because its smooth but i like firefox because you can change theme and the themes are more professional than the one for chrome which looks like teletubies lol

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
House_maniac said:
but i like firefox because you can change theme and the themes are more professional than the one for chrome which looks like teletubies lol

Ha, yeah I'm not one into themes anymore, but if I'm correct you can even make your own theme for Firefox (not sure about Chrome).

D

Deleted member 178

House_maniac said:
i was a diehard firefox fan too then i just migrated to test chrome and fell in love with it

me too but for security reasons (built-in sandbox/flash player/pdf viewer)

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
House_maniac said:
i was a diehard firefox fan too then i just migrated to test chrome and fell in love with it

me too but for security reasons (built-in sandbox/flash player/pdf viewer)

yeps but i like that chrome is smooth because everytab using a different process which is a great thing firefox should have implemented that!

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Something that Firefox/Waterfox doesn't do there. If one tab crashes the whole browser crashes.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Good news! I use Waterfox,Like McLovin said 32-bit firefox would hang on me.I have just recently really started getting into really giving Chrome a go.I am now pretty much running Google Chrome almost all of the time now.I like HTTPS Everywhere and also like Speed Dial 2.Not big into themes either just set up something on my own for Chrome.I am glad to see Firefox continuing with the 64-bit development

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Also gives people with a 64-bit machine to actually start using a 64-bit browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.