Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Mozilla Firefox will soon block the injection of DLLs by antivirus applications and other third-party programs in an effort to improve stability, security, and privacy.

Antivirus applications on Windows and other third-party applications, e.g. other security software or PDF tools, may inject DLLs in the browser. These injections are known to cause stability issues for users.

Mozilla follows Google which started to block third-party code injections in Google Chrome in 2018. Google discovered that Chrome installations with third-party DLL injection crashed 15% more than Chrome installations without.

Mozilla started to investigate options to disable DLL injections in Firefox in the fourth quarter of 2016 but things picked up speed only recently.

Firefox Nightly, the cutting edge version of the Firefox browser, blocks DLL injections already. The feature will be integrated in Beta and Release versions of the Firefox browser when they hit version 66.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I seem to recall that Malwarebytes had issues with their anti-exploit module after Google blocked DLL injections in Chrome.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
I seem to recall that Malwarebytes had issues with their anti-exploit module after Google blocked DLL injections in Chrome.

Another thing I'm curious about. Most of the mitigations that mbae would add to your browser are already baked into chrome. And I seriously doubt Malwarebytes is doing a better job with that type of thing than the Google devs are.

Reactions: Brie

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.