First infection?

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Well, I thought I might post this here since I already did on MU, so what's the first infection you ever had and how did you remove it? The first one on my laptop was Vundo and Avira removed it automatically, the first infection I ever seen (probably) was some older virus that reformatted the hard drive every January 16th, a friend of my parents removed it. Reply with your story.

G

Guest28

mine was back in 2006.I had no protection on my computer and my windows firewall and windows updates were all turned off.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Mine was a very long time ago when I got my first PC, I think I was around 14, Absolutely poor computer knowledge, Didn't even know how to save a picture in Paint let alone know what a computer virus was lol. I was downloading flash games and one so happened to be a .exe, Upon running I remember my wallpaper changing to a black screen with red text saying your system is infected, A rogue installed (I forget the name of it since it was so long ago), Because I had no knowledge at all back then with viruses or removing them an Acer Repair guy came out to my house and fixed it, Think all he did was re-install Windows and charge my parents a hefty fee for it. After this incident its when he installed AVG Free on my new system and from there I got very interested in learning about viruses, prevention and AV software and well here I am today making videos testing them. :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Mine would have to be when I was download a game and then the computer start to go really slow...at the time I had the worst and free antivirus ever ClamAV (which sucks) and then I put Trend Micro on it seemed to find it and remove the nasty infection. So after that it seemed to go a bit faster but as it used to be...so to cut it short I had to reformat the machine :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I cannot remember but when me and my older brother using this desktop computer before we are been infected by a rogue (Forget the name) and AVG 6 detected but no internet connection so out of date until some applications are crashed.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I don't remember.
Although I don't know if this was the first, I had loads on my old laptop, luckily, a quick scan from Malwarebytes assassinated the infections in question.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Probably between 2001 and 2004.

I got my first computer in 2004, since then I became interested in it.

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
Mine was on an old desktop from back in 2004ish. It was our family computer running Windows ME and every week Norton Av 2004 kept popping up saying malware infection detected on its weekly scan. I guess the malware finally got past Norton and destroyed everything. All the files were gone, the OS could boot but when you tried to open the C drive it said it could not be found. All the photos were lost. We still have the hard drive in case we wanted to try to find all the files, I have no idea what infection caused it though.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
SmitFraud.

I had some issue with SpyAxe. I don't remember if that was a rogue or a Trojan.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i'm get.. but not until reinstall windows.. just little infection..
at moment i'm is 15yo , but from that.. until now.. i'm not get infection again.. now i'm 19 yo
i'm use from first infection.. i'm use AVG, then change to avira, then avast, now i use NIS 2011 (trials)
next AV's? idk.. maybe not use :p
or use some AV with firewall (IS suites)
i hope i get lot money to buy some
lol

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
The first infection was when I bought my first PC before 2 and a half years. I was a complete novice. The PC was full of infections even before I had an internet connection. But after updating the antivirus (it was one of the first things to know about), It removed some infections. And after 354 days (approximately one year), I forgot my firewall turned off (And I had an internet connection that time). A plenty of malware infected my PC and corrupted the whole OS by deleting system files. It was the first time for me to reinstall Windows :D

I

illumination

My first infection was quite awhile ago, do not remember the name, but do remember how i received it, which ironically enough was from a link to at&t's home site, i was there searching for their "free internet security" they were offering customers.. Needless to say, have been learning and teaching myself since!

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Mine was 5 years ago when I had only Norton Internet Security '06 version installed on my old xp pc. I was purely a novice when it came to internet security. I had never heard of Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Hitman Pro, Spyware Doctor or any other scanners. I had numerous popups on the screen saying that I was infected and to "click here" to fix the problem. So I did click on one particular button which made the problem worse. I never knew what the infection was as I did numerous full scans with NIS, and it never found any malware etc.
I had to ring a Symantec tech to probe my pc from the otherside of the world (India, I think) . He found some malware and removed them, but unfortunately I had to re format my pc and so I lost everything and had to reinstall all my software.
The tech charged me about $230 to clean my pc
Once my NIS subscription ran out, I vowed never to use Norton and Internet explore again!

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
2008...... Had AVG Free as a real-time protection (lets just say it didn't protect me very well), one day I've decided to uninstall it and try another product not because I was suspecting an infection but because it seemed like it slowed down my computer... so Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 was the choice and after installing it...boooomm!! Malware Was detected... some lame trojans and vundo (was very popular back in those days).......Was so socked and scared that I've start searching for the best product so this won't happen again.......... funny enough at this point I don't have any security product installed , I guess is true that the best layer of defense for a system is the user behind the PC. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.