Five Irresistable Reasons Why You Should Take Opera 11 For A Serious Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Five Irresistable Reasons Why You Should Take Opera 11 For A Serious Spin topic here ..

Five Irresistable Reasons Why You Should Take Opera 11 For A Serious Spin : on makeuseof.com : http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/opera-11-spin/

QUOTE:
'It can be difficult to switch to a different “primary” browser, especially if you’re already set up in another browser with all of your favorite extensions and tweaks.

But if you take Opera as a “secondary” browser and only use it now and then, you may just fall in love with it. Here are some of the main reasons why Opera rocks and you should try it out.' ..

ianOn.png

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Malware campaign targeting Opera Mobile : on Zscaler Research : http://research.zscaler.com/2012/03/malware-campaign-targeting-opera-mobile.html

QUOTE:
'I've stumbled upon hundreds of links targeting Opera Mobile users, to trick them into installing a malware on the device.' ..

'With the lack of effective AV and other security tools on smartphones, especially on low-end devices, mobile users must be very careful about downloading and installing applications, especially outside of the official app stores.'

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Opera web browser makes my screen flicker. No thanks.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Earth, it seems that this is the problem of batteries in your wireless optical mouse .. Change the batteries in the mouse (and see the state of battery contacts) - and post the results, please.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Considering where most attacks happen (the browser) I'd rather not go with a closed source browser that takes no remarkable methods to protect the user.

In terms of their points:

1) "It Feels Fast"

Opera benchmarks similarly to Chrome in every benchmark I've run myself (V8, Kraken, Dromaeo, Peacekeeper) with the exception of DOM access where it can go beyond Chrome (though Chrome beats it in Javascript, which I care more about.)

2) "Tab Previews"

Cool feature. I can live without it.

3) "Speed Dial"

There's an extension for Chrome that supports it. They bring up a good point that you can't choose the websites for Chrome - I've always found that ridiculous of Google, it really speaks to the issues with the project.

4) "Turbo"

Aren't most pages gzipped anyways?

5) "Keyboard Shortcuts"

That's definitely a plus. Chrome is limited here.

All in all, I find it fairly easy to resist.

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
Hungry Man said:
3) "Speed Dial"

There's an extension for Chrome that supports it. They bring up a good point that you can't choose the websites for Chrome - I've always found that ridiculous of Google, it really speaks to the issues with the project.

4) "Turbo"

Aren't most pages gzipped anyways?

3) You can make a new page by dragging the pages from the most visited or bookmarks. Solved?

4) Tried on my friend's Android and it helped significantly on 5kb/s net. :biggrin:

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I have used opera from v8 days and still use it. Do you really want to know the best feature i like. You can literally edit your referrer info in opera without any extensions. For eg you can mask opera as IE or Firefox and websites will think its ff or IE.

I have always loved opera and keep returning to it.

And yeah for security opera includes avg linkscanner's list of blacklists for safe browsing. It also as phishtank support.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Prorootect said:
Earth, it seems that this is the problem of batteries in your wireless optical mouse .. Change the batteries in the mouse (and see the state of battery contacts) - and post the results, please.

I don't use any optical mouse, only the touchpad on my laptop.

No other web browser causes this, except Opera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.