Battle Flames Ask's #1 - Best Mobile AV? - Avast or Malwarebytes?

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014

FLAMES ASKS #1
Hello internet users of MalwareTips. This is Flames, I'm back from a year haitus on this forum or more. I'm slowly digging up and getting out of my gravestone (not literally) It's 12 am at the time I'm posting this as I hope to post daily on here. Anyway let's get to the point.

What are you opinions on Mobile AV?
Specificity Malwarebytes Mobile and Avast! Mobile.

Here are the things you need to post in the comments:

Ease of use: (1-10)
Detection Rate (if possible 1-10)
Resource memory usage (1-10 if possible)
Your thoughts
-----------------------​
Hope to see your thoughts in the comments. P.S Digging my way out of my gravestone (not literally) See you soon in the comment wars!

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Nice. I don't know what to post today but it was nice hearing from ya. Personally I think av is overkill on phones but I your opinions on these two av's as their desktop counterparts do well but I cant test android AV's. Thanks for all your input!

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474
A

antreas

Malwarebytes! best web protection! on the windows version idk it will on smartphone too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
The best - going by AV Test for many reports- is Sophos Mobile Security. Here are my impressions of Sophos Mobile security (a free product).

Ease of use: 10
Detection Rate: 10
Resource memory usage: Very High battery consumption. Would rate a 3.5

If you don't want Sophos, I would recommend one of:
1) Emsisoft Mobile Security
2) Kaspersky Mobile Security
3) Norton Mobile Security
4) ESET
5) Zemana Mobile Security

If none of these are attractive, stay with Avast. The first and one of the only few AV-Test Mobile reports showed MalwareBytes with a detection ratio of 90.7% where the average Mobile Security has a detection rate at an average of 99.3%.

Last edited:

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
None..Pay attention to ratings and permissions for apps, don't visit questionable sites, and you should be good. Never had a mobile AV, and never had an infection. Just be sure to install patches when they are released.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
None..Pay attention to ratings and permissions for apps, don't visit questionable sites, and you should be good. Never had a mobile AV, and never had an infection. Just be sure to install patches when they are released.
Antivirus (often free) is advisable.
It is also advisable to make sure that on the Android device, it is disabled the ability to install apps outside the Play Store: "Settings - Other - Security" and check off the box for "Unknown Sources" also, ask yourself if it is really necessary, check its permissions and check the reviews to see if anyone has reported any anomalous behavior. Finally, be careful to avoid altering the operation of the Android device with operations such as rooting.

Let's leave aside for now the scenario in which a happyclicker user installs the app he will find anywhere. I'm interested in the case where a download only through the app store of Google. I'm sure that at the time of publishing an app, Google itself uses all the existing systems to verify it...or maybe not.

What happen if someone discovers a malware dropped in this app at a later time, when the app is already widespread?
In that case what is the approach of Google? Warns the user that the app is deprecated, and it would be better to uninstall it? I don't think.

Antivirus can help you in this scenario.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.