Advice Request Flash Player - Do you have it enabled or disabled?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Create a POLL to see how many people have Flash Player (inc. Pepper Flash) enabled or disabled on the browser or PC?

Enable / Disable on Google Chrome (Chromium)
upload_2016-6-24_0-49-2.png

Enable / Disable on Microsoft Edge (Windows 10) - See how
upload_2016-6-24_0-58-24.png

If you are not sure if you have Flash Player installed, click here and ORANGE button.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Fully enabled in Flash Player in Chrome and Vivaldi.

Well attacks may be common everywhere however in reality, few people trapped because of no idea what will happen as they struck on unknown page.

But for smart ones, he or she will not go to any shady sites that can possess problems and instead rely on common habits in order to make the task productive.

As long it get immediate patches hence no need to worry about.

Reactions: DardiM and frogboy

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I keep the Quick Java extension on Firefox. Most of the time I have Flash disabled thereby, but for videos I often have to click on the little "F" to enable it.

I keep the Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in set to Always.

Reactions: DardiM

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I have it set to (ask) to activate.
Does that fit with (enabled) ?
I voted enabled anyway :p
I wonder the same...

I set Chrome to "Let me choose when to run plugin content". If that's considered enabled, then ok. But if it isn't, then perhaps adding a third option like "asked to activate" would be a good idea.

Enabled for YouTube videos and other flash games I play. :)
Youtube uses HTML5 at default, so unless you tweaked your browser to watch youtube with flash, you should be able to watch videos even with flash disabled.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Flash Vulnerabilities,Patches,The Psychology of feeling Safe,and how that feeling may be a curse:

I recently became interested in attempting to analyse just how big a part the "psychology" of feeling safe plays when it comes to our faith in Flash updates/patches,and the (probably unjustifiable) feeling of safety that may be experienced by a user after installing a released update/patch "immediately" on its release..
A few months ago I was reading an article (Apologies for not remembering where) that stated that in 2015 an average of approx 25 Flash vulnerabilities were found each Month,and that it was not unusual for vulnerabilities to not be fixed in the update/patch that followed the initial detection of them..
This led me to thinking.....Taking these figures into account,Logic suggests that a user is almost as vulnerable immediately after installing the update as they were immediately prior to its installation,and that the difference between how safe they feel having installed the update in comparison to before may be wholly disproportionate to the reality of the situation. Interestingly,this "trick of the mind" could affect users across the full spectrum of experience/knowledge levels as it appears to be hardwired into the subconscious mind rather than be at the mercy of conscious reasoning.
The Irony of this is that an experienced user will often be appalled by a novice's lack of any security settings/software,whereas the novice felt safe.
This suggests that (not just for flash but in general) the default is for a person to feel safe until such a time that additional information leads them to question this view.
Having reached this conclusion I began to contemplate whether that in addition to the knowledge,and logic already recommended to be a users tools for computer security it may be beneficial to have a default mentality of feeling unsafe.
If all users from Basic to Advanced experienced levels never felt safe unjustifiably,provided that they acted on those concerns there is a good chance that security breaches across the entire spectrum could decrease as a result.
Don't get me wrong.I'm not necessarily suggesting that people should not update flash (or their OS), only that they try to fight the false feeling of safety that comes from doing it,until it becomes second nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: JakeXPMan

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I wonder the same...

I set Chrome to "Let me choose when to run plugin content". If that's considered enabled, then ok. But if it isn't, then perhaps adding a third option like "asked to activate" would be a good idea.
If Flash Player is available for use, then yes it's Enabled, just after user clicks allow.

IMO, there are 2 states:
Enabled (Installed / On / Running / Click to Activate etc)
Disabled (Not installed / Deactivated etc)

H

hjlbx

If Flash Player is available for use, then yes it's Enabled, just after user clicks allow.

IMO, there are 2 states:
Enabled (Installed / On / Running / Click to Activate etc)
Disabled (Not installed / Deactivated etc)

If Flash is installed on a system, then it can be exploited; Flash does not need to be activated in the browser for it to be exploited - all that is needed is for it to be on the system.

If you use Flash, then you probably should use an anti-exploit or run Flash with limited rights. Flash is the most often exploited program next to java\JRE. It has almost the same frequency of true 0-day exploits.

Despite the above facts, the probability (risk) of an actual exploit that leads to infection for the typical user is quite small -- something like < 2 % according to industry data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.