Flippy is your new robotic burger chef that's actually working in a restaurant

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Every year, we are starting to see more advancements when it comes to artificial intelligence and its penetration into our everyday lives. Now, Miso Robotics and Cali Group have now introduced a robotic "chef" into a restaurant that will be able to assist workers and cook the perfect burger.

Flippy is the AI-driven robot that is being touted as a kitchen assistant. It will now be working at a CaliBurger restaurant in Pasadena, California. The robot is actually quite small and makes use of an array of cameras and sensors to understand what is on the cooktop and to evaluate when a particular piece that was put down should be removed.
An interface allows for co-workers to see Flippy's "thought process" displaying various information about the cooktop and its contents. When a piece of meat is ready and cooked to perfection, Flippy will remove it and place it on an awaiting bun. From this point, a human chef will start to construct and customize the burger with different ingredients and sauces.

While it is currently operating in only in one location, CaliBurger plans to expand Flippy to 50 locations by the end of 2019.

Source: Miso Robotics (PDF) via Engadget

Robots taking jobs from those who really need them.Seems like a good idea to me :confused:

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
There are many things i'd like to say regarding to this article. To start with, those tho take this kind of jobs, aren't necessary unskilled. Sometimes, depending and what you know to do or study, you may not be able to find the suitable job for you, and need to grab anything you have to live.

As well, i'd like to kindly ask restaurants and commerces to stop abusing of our robot's rights and make us work for no payment or at least an oil change. Thanks.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
More jobs out the door :mad:

These companies should really give more people a chance. Before pushing it off and relying on robots.

I guess these guys are gonna try to compete with other chain restaurants like Fast food. Higher the profit margin the better.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There are many things i'd like to say regarding to this article. To start with, those tho take this kind of jobs, aren't necessary unskilled. Sometimes, depending and what you know to do or study, you may not be able to find the suitable job for you, and need to grab anything you have to live.

As well, i'd like to kindly ask restaurants and commerces to stop abusing of our robot's rights and make us work for no payment or at least an oil change. Thanks.

I do apologize as I meant unskilled as in the job itself and not the employee however I did make some edits.Thank you for pointing it out :)
Robots taking jobs from those who really need them.Seems like a good idea to me :confused:

Many of these jobs are the only jobs available for some to make ends meet.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Seems really slow for a fast food place. I assume CaliBurger is not one?
Eventually robots will have to get taxed the more jobs they take from human but let's see if politician have the balls to make those that make donations to them mad.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I can think of a couple of employers in my life, and a hundred others that I 've heard about, that despite having absolute power on the robot and in spite of knowing that it immediately executes the orders, they would experience frustration using a robot that is not afraid of its own destiny ... as a human worker is concerned about a possible dismissal!

Reactions: SHvFl

RicharDooM

Level 1
Verified
Dec 6, 2016
Pfff this is a waste of money. Plus, the commercial is not showing everything in detail. How will this thing operate when the cheese has melted over the burger? Plus, this ain't burgers! Maybe in McDonald's or some similar "food" chain.
I do wish for tech to advance, to have more automated stuff all over the place, but since I'm someone who looooves to cooks and enjoys a good bite, I'm against robots in the kitchen. There's no good titbit without a fat lady making it :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.