shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi, thanks for posting, and welcome to the forum.

Just wondering why you have OS File Reputation turned off. It is SmartScreen, which is an important built-in security feature of Windows 10. It is recommended to leave it on.

It looks like you have a real lot of browser extensions. I don't think you need so many. Maybe try to cut it down?

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Like @shmu26 I'd also suggest to turn on smartscreen. Maybe add Zemana or EEK as on demand scanners but its not necessary. Thanks for sharing your config!

Are you using the latest stable FF or FF nightly? If the former then No Resource URL Leak is leaking. For the latter it is ok
I think he's using stable. I may be wrong here but NoScript doesn't work with Nightly yet.

Forsaked

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2017
@shmu26

Since the Defender disables itself with Bitdefender, SmartScreen shouldn't be active.
All those extensions are part of reducing the fingerprint / leak in combination with my user.js, but most of them gonna get removed after FF57 goes stable, since there are no webextension equivalent.

@HarborFront

I am using the stable and testing the beta & nightly channel in combination with my user.js to find new changes.
For No Resource URI Leak there is a fixed version, you can find here:

sticky: fixed/signed legacy addons not on AMO: No Resource URI Leak etc · Issue #191 · ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js · GitHub

uBlock with uMatrix isn't too much, since im using both in hard-mode and like to whitelist things.
Both work nice together, some things are redundant but not everything.

@Deletedmessiah

I take a look into SmartScreen and those Scanners.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Enable Smartscreen.
With Bitdefender TS you could use MBAM 3 as an on demand scanner.
Make sure CCleaner is updated to the most recent version.(previous version backdoor problems)
Thanks for sharing your config :)

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Why OS File Reputation disabled? Please enable it, it can be fundamental to avoid infections.

And you have a lot of browser extensions, which could cause instability and vulnerability, for content-blocker I would keep only uBlock Origin.

Thanks for sharing.

Forsaked

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2017
@Deletedmessiah

Addet EEK to my on-demand scanners.

@Exterminator

Malwarebytes takes a fast scan every day and does full scans at specific intervals like Bitdefender.
Only the 32-Bit variant of CCleaner was vunerable, which i don't use.

@JM Security

All those extension are there for a specific reason, there are no QoL extensions in there.
I am active on GitHub on some user.js and Firefox repositories together with others, to reduce fingerprinting in Firefox while hardening it.
Most of those extension won't survive the release (14.11.2017) of Firefox 57 anyway , since the new API doesn't support all features the old API had.

@All

OS File Reputation aka SmartScreen is now enabled globally.

Last edited:

Forsaked

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2017
Honestly one of the best configurations I've seen a new member put together. You must've been watching MT forums for a bit and just decided to join. =)

Thanks!
Actually, i registered on the day i found this Forum.
Before i was just reading Reddit, gHacks and several internet resources to inform me.

Reactions: harlan4096
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.