Four out of Five Ransomware Victims Would Pay the Ransom Again

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
round four out of five ransomware victims who paid a ransom demand to recover their files said they would pay the ransom again to recover data if no backup files are available.

This is one of the many conclusions of a survey of 1,252 users from 13 countries across Asia, Australia, and Europe, included in the Telstra Security Report 2018. The survey looked at various facets of the cyber-security landscape, but we are only going to focus on the ransomware-related findings.

Most paying victims were able to recover their files
According to the survey's results, respondents reported an increase in ransomware attacks in 2017, compared to similar surveys carried out in previous years.
Most victims would pay the ransom again
Of those who paid the ransom —76% of Asians, 83% of Australins, and 80% of Europeans— said they'd pay the ransom again if they didn't have backup files available.

This is contrary to popular law enforcement advice, who recommend not paying the ransom. Nonetheless, such idealistic advice is sometimes impossible to apply in the realities of the real world, where companies may lose access to intellectual property far more expensive to their daily activity than a meager $1,000 - $5,000 ransom request.

CharlieBrown

Level 1
Verified
Mar 21, 2018
I didn't download the report but I wonder how this broke down by the age of the victim with regard to those being willing to pay again. I'm sure those responsible for the ransomware just love hearing the results of this survey.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.