Free security solution for dummies?

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
Hi,

I currently have Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 with an expired licence and am considering the free alternatives. My decision on whether or not to buy another Kaspersky licence really depends on if I can understand what I need to protect myself against and how to do it. Below is a list of security software that I currently use:

Kaspersky Internet Security
Malwarebytes (free)
Spybot (free)
Firefox (Adblock Plus, NoScript)

Am I able to achieve the same (or better) levels of security entirely from free software? Below is a list of free software I am looking into. Have I included the relevant things?

Avast
Malwarebytes
Spybot
Comodo Firewall
SUMo
Firefox (Adblock Plus, Noscript)

Any info on how best to configure the above is appreciated.

Also, Kaspersky comes with an on-screen keyboard that I use for passwords. Windows also appears to have one of its own. Is there any difference in the way these function? If you can limit the acronyms and abbreviations in your response it will be much appreciated.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Loose KIS with an expired licence, that does nothing now!
If you like Kaspersky they have a basic free solution now: https://www.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus
IMO free for dummies is Bitdefender Free: Bitdefender Toolbox - Your Essential Free Antivirus Tools
I installed Bitdefender Free on the laptop of my mother in law (no complaints).
Avast free is also great , but not completely for dummies.
Malwarebytes and Spybot are not the best tools in their class at the moment.
For second opinion you can think about HitmanPro and/or Zemana AntiMalware.
Comodo firewall is great but complicated. Look for @cruelsister 's settings.

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
It's all up to you, Protected, There are people who go without antivirus, because they know what they do, it's all question of each, Now you raise two alternatives, Avast or kis, Well one is payment the other not, but protected if is with avast many colleagues here in MT have Avast and they go well, What I do not see is what Spybot is not worth is better Zemana for scans

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Kaspersky Internet Security does the job.
Go on Ebay and buy a new licence for $5-$7. You can buy a license for last year's version, and it will still work for the new version, which is 2018

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Avast free with Hardened mode ON is good for, however I wouldn't recommend Comodo firewall as it's not suited at all for basic users. I'd also recommend setting scheduled scans with an on-demand scanner every day or on startup of each boot.

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
Thanks for the replies.

I have found a legit retailer selling 2016 and 2017 versions of security suites. Presumably these will still function in the expected way? Would I be able to use a licence from 2017 software on the 2018 version?

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I have found a legit retailer selling 2016 and 2017 versions of security suites. Presumably these will still function in the expected way? Would I be able to use a licence from 2017 software on the 2018 version?

Normally Kaspersky keys work until the next 2 versions. Therefore, a 2017 key activates Kaspersky 2017/2018/2019 for example. But only for the same suite (eg. KIS 2017 key activates KIS 2018, but not KTS 2018). You may want to read this:

How to migrate to a different Kaspersky Lab product

Reactions: Junglist

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.