Guide | How To Free System-wide Adblocking without Adguard

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Steps:
1/ Add this hosts file to your "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" by copy & paste
https://adaway.org/hosts.txt
You can change 127.0.0.1 -> 0.0.0.0 to increase the speed
2/ install uBlock Origin for your browsers
3/ Open this website, choose these recommended filters to your uBlock Origin besides the default ones

Some filters you can also add but with caution. They may break something or they are just a bit overkill or decrease browsing speed:

Filters that are NOT RECOMMENDED:

Pros:
- Free system-wide adblock without using adguard, adfender
- The hosts file (14kb) is able to block most common adservers without slowing down your internet and you don't have to disable "DNS client" service to make them work like other big hosts file
- Slighty improve browsing security due to some extra malware filters
- Works great alongside Avira browser safety and Bitdefender Trafficlight
- Doesn't cause problems as some users reported due to the extensive filters by Adguard
- Doesn't track your information
- It's fast
- It doesn't scan your HTTPS like Adguard does

Cons:
- It obviously cannot block all ads especially non-english ads. Can be solved by manually adding a few ad domains into the hosts file. More domains mean slower browsing speed

Hope this help :)
Thanks for the uBlock filter lists a good selection right there. ;) A couple there i had missed.

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Hello, thanks for the info, I use the Steven Black hosts on one of my pc with their python code, I have deleted some of their sources, added some domains on their whitelists, and the result is a hosts with ~90 kb and combined with task sheduler in windows it auto-updates and is replaced automatically.

I notice the improvement of speed on firefox and I just have some filters on ublock, I mainly use ublock for the pop-ups

Reactions: frogboy

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
yes, it does, in some extent

Capture.PNG

After
1.PNG

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
but for a better adblocking result especially in-app ads, you should replace the hosts I recommended by a more extensive one, for example, MVPS hosts
my hosts is from adaway, it only blocks most common ad servers
mobile ads sometimes use uncommon ad servers so it may not block them

W

Wave

but for a better adblocking result especially in-app ads, you should replace the hosts I recommended by a more extensive one, for example, MVPS hosts
For what it's worth I would just suggest using a browser extension like uBlock, that way you get a ton of blocked host entries, pop-up blocking and also generic advertisement removal (not entirely based on a DB but by searching and hiding the elements which is good for blocking new advertisement host providers).

However for system-wide, of course the Hosts is beneficial! :)

Reactions: Evjl's Rain

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Peter Lowe's is smaller and more professional. I only see MVPS blocking the weird ads like Get Rid of Fat in 2 weeks. I doubt apps will put that in them.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Peter Lowe's is smaller and more professional. I only see MVPS blocking the weird ads like Get Rid of Fat in 2 weeks. I doubt apps will put that in them.
peter lowe doesn't block
pagead2.googlesyndication.com
pagead2.googleadservices.com

so when we use it alone, it's gonna miss so many ads because many ads come from those domains. I consider this unacceptable. When I used it solely, it was almost closed to useless
these are 2 examples. Peter lowe misses a lot of more common domains while adaway small hosts contain all of the common ones

Natural_Causes

May 1, 2017
Hello.

I'm still new to this sort of thing, and this is probably a stupid question, but how do I put it in the "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" folder?

Thanks.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hello.

I'm still new to this sort of thing, and this is probably a stupid question, but how do I put it in the "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" folder?

Thanks.
you just have to download the file, rename it to "hosts" (remove the extension txt), copy it to the etc folder. That's it

if you cannot copy the file, you have to right-click the original hosts file in the etc folder -> properties -> untick read-only -> OK
copy and replace the hosts file

Reactions: frogboy
D

Deleted member 178

In the old days using the host file hampered the speed because for every connection requests , the browser had to read the huge host file. Now , i don't know if it is still the cae.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
In the old days using the host file hampered the speed because for every connection requests , the browser had to read the huge host file. Now , i don't know if it is still the cae.
I don't think it's a problem as when we use a huge hosts file
this adaway hosts is only 13.4Kb. it's so small but effective enough against popular adservers. It's still better than peter lowe's hosts file which is ~61Kb but cannot block these popular adservers

I have been using it for a year but I haven't seen any change in terms of speed with or without this hosts file

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
If the host file must be edited, it's necessary to launch notepad in Admin mode. (untick read only is not sufficient)
But sometimes, some security products protect the host file (avira for example), so you have to disabling the protection before.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.