Advice Request Free Wifi

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I have one question if your app or service was already logged in on your phone or tablet and you use free wifi can a hacker still steal your login details ?

Reactions: bribon77

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
I have one question if your app or service was already logged in on your phone or tablet and you use free wifi can a hacker still steal your login details ?
Hackers can steal cookies from from devices, the very cookies that marks your device as signed in, so it's not an impossible case scenario. Not only that a hacker can setup a fake hotspot carrying the same name of the venue you're willing to use wifi from, if you connect to that then all data will be intercepted by hacker. That's why it's advisable not to carry out any sensitive work on wifi(i.e. forget internet banking on free wifi hotspots) and even if you do you must use a VPN like spawn said.
IMO free wifi is only good for casual browsing and YouTube.

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
I am connected to a public WiFi most of the day. Even when I’m browsing MalwareTips. But I never connect to a public WiFi without a VPN. I am using SurfEasy. Now I’m connected to a public WiFi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.