French Govt. Wants to Inject Domain Blocking Lists Directly Into Web Browsers

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Developed by UK ISP BT at an estimated cost of £500,000, the Cleanfeed content-blocking system was launched in 2004 with the stated aim of preventing access to child abuse material. For most people in society, that was considered a positive move but just a few years later, the very existence of Cleanfeed was seen as an opportunity. In an effort to suppress Usenet indexer Newzbin, Hollywood studios sought and won an injunction that compelled BT to use Cleanfeed to block the site, with the studios admitting that the company was targeted because it had the tools in place to implement blocking. In June 2023 alone, over 850 new entries appeared on UK ISPs’ blocklists.

In parallel the government is on the verge of passing new law that aims to protect adults from the dangers of online fraud. Given the scale of the problem and law enforcement’s lacking response globally, what could possibly be wrong with that? According to Mozilla, the people behind the Firefox browser, almost nothing – if it’s done properly, at least. “In a well-intentioned yet dangerous move to fight online fraud, France is on the verge of forcing browsers to create a dystopian technical capability,” Mozilla reported this week.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Never heard of this guy.
He's worth at least having a listen to.

Definitely not everyone's cup of tea and has to be approached with an open mind, but he puts forward a reasonably coherent and well argued case for what HE believes is going on at the moment in civil society.

Primarily an increase in government by and for special interest groups.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
He's worth at least having a listen to.

Definitely not everyone's cup of tea and has to be approached with an open mind, but he puts forward a reasonably coherent and well argued case for what HE believes is going on at the moment in civil society.

Primarily an increase in government by and for special interest groups.
I enjoy listening to him. I agree with almost everything he says.

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
Mozilla: Petition to stop France from forcing browsers to censor websites.
The French government is working on a law that could threaten the free internet. The so-called SREN bill (‘Projet de loi visant à sécuriser et réguler l’espace numérique’) would require web browsers – like Mozilla's Firefox – to block websites in the browsers themselves. It would set a dangerous precedent, providing a playbook for other governments to also turn browsers like Firefox into censorship tools.
We can still stop this – but we don’t have much time. The government introduced the bill to parliament shortly before the summer break and is hoping to pass this as quickly and smoothly as possible; the bill has even been put on an accelerated procedure, with a vote to take place this fall. Add your name to our petition to help stop this part of the bill from becoming law.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I enjoy listening to him. I agree with almost everything he says.
I only know he is "controversial" -- I think he's on youtube with Bill Maher podcast, now I have something to do this weekend :ROFLMAO:
EDIT as a general rule I am against censorship, and much of wokeness I read about on college campuses, although no firsthand experience.

Last edited:
  • Applause
Reactions: vtqhtr413

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
He's just your average religious nutjob who use fancy words to get a following.
could be, I'm 99% sure he did a podcast with Bill Maher who is an atheist (or agnostic), so I'm curious to listen to their banter. I may only listen for a short term, and decide this topic is not worth my time... :unsure:

• Applause
Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit - WC Fields

” The inventor’s gamble, blending genuine technological innovation with a couple of white lies and a cozy relationship with the press, had paid off. He had harnessed not only electricity but also another invisible power: celebrity. Edison understood that success in the Gilded Age was a matter of hard work and carefully managing public expectations. Sure, he had come up with the phonograph, but when asked by some guests which historical figure’s voice he’d most like to hear, he shocked them by naming onetime French political upstart Napoleon. As he explained to his audience, who had apparently expected him to name Jesus Christ, “I like a hustler.”

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.