Frett's Config - Just starting

frett

Thread author
Dec 9, 2015
So, I guess I'm an advanced user (over three decades of PC use, I build PCs, networks, etc) and have never had a personal machine get infected.

However, I just discovered someone has created a new user with Administrator privileges on one of my PCs. They installed a VPN and a couple other things. I have no idea what else they have done, but I disabled the account and took the PC off the network.

I am trying to learn how this happened and get up to date on security practices--because obviously I screwed up big time. :(

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

However, I just discovered someone has created a new user with Administrator privileges on one of my PCs

not good

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Set UAC to always notify
Consider adding a stronger real time security solution And use MBAM as on demand
Consider adding one or two more on demand scanners
Sandboxie or another Sandbox
I would consider HTTPS Everywhere and uBlock Origin in FF

frett

Thread author
Dec 9, 2015
Thanks for the input. I am taking all suggestions seriously.

I had to have been attacked through software I deliberately installed. Because I NEVER click on attachments unless I know what they are. However, I often find software on Downloads.com and I had always felt confident they were successfully vetting the programs they offer. Now I am learning that might not be true.

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well since you are aware from your configuration then its fine already. ;)

Optional: You may add a backup browser just in case you experience something issue.
Optional 2: Add Sandboxie for such case you want to test some programs in isolated without harming to the actual system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.