Technology Gigabyte BIOS update outs next-gen AMD Ryzen APUs with upgraded Radeon GPUs

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The Ryzen 7000 desktop CPU series was AMD’s first to include a small integrated GPU by default to make the chips more appealing for budget and business desktops where a dedicated GPU would be overkill. These bare-bones GPUs won't play many games, as we found when we tested them, but they're a reliable way to light up a couple of monitors.

AMD said at the time that it also planned to continue making desktop APUs, the company's longstanding terminology for a Ryzen CPU paired with a more powerful integrated Radeon GPU, but we haven't heard anything about a new Ryzen desktop APU since. That could be changing early next year, according to the release notes for a slew of BIOS updates for Gigabyte motherboards. According to Gigabyte, a new series of APUs for socket AM5 motherboards will be released starting in January 2024, and they'll be compatible with any current socket AM5 motherboard running version 1.1.0.0 or newer of AMD's AGESA firmware.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This is great. This is an area where Intel always had an advantage. I remember back in 2010/11 my GPU suddenly died while I was playing the game Mafia 2. Thanks to the Intel processor that I was using at the moment, I could still use my PC for other tasks after removing the dead GPU without having to buy a new one. Except Intel's F series processors, all of them have integrated GPUs. Intel's Threat Detection Technology which can assist AV products to detect ransomware also make use of their integrated GPUs.
Better late than never for AMD.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
This is great. This is an area where Intel always had an advantage. I remember back in 2010/11 my GPU suddenly died while I was playing the game Mafia 2. Thanks to the Intel processor that I was using at the moment, I could still use my PC for other tasks after removing the dead GPU without having to buy a new one. Except Intel's F series processors, all of them have integrated GPUs. Intel's Threat Detection Technology which can assist AV products to detect ransomware also make use of their integrated GPUs.
Better late than never for AMD.
Yeah, iGPU is a big plus especially when troubleshooting issues with main GPU and Intel QS is also pretty useful.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.