Serious Discussion GlassWire - VirusTotal Stopped Working! (Fix Noted)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Howdy MalwareTips Friends!

So many of you use GlassWire a firewall and network monitor tool that has been around the block for a bit now. For those of you who upgraded to the most recent version you were greeted with a wonderful surprise - VirusTotal that was working like a charm within the program has now ceased to work properly! Let me explain a bit what's going on here!

First, let me give some background... I have been a proud (still am just sad/flustered) user of GlassWire now for several years. Around mid February I noticed after patching GlassWire to the latest patch that VirusTotal (VT) wasn't functioning correctly. I thought it was just a fluke and didn't mind for a few days, but then after doing a Dr. Google search I found that many others like myself is experiencing the same issue. NOT GOOD!

I went onto the Forums for GlassWire and discovered the following post: Virus Total stopped working

As we can see the issue took a hot minute for the GlasWire team to 'fix' which ended up being that folks cannot use GlassWire with VT anymore without using their own personal API key. Here, we all thought that GlassWire was using a Premium API key with a SLA guarantee; however, that seems to have changed per the following forum post: VirusTotal Update

For quick breakdown of information:

VirusTotal has recently changed the terms of its licensing agreement for using their API within GlassWire which has effectively broken the integration as it had been implemented up to version 3.3.495 of GlassWire.
In order to continue using the integration you will now need to obtain your own Personal API key directly from VirusTotal and link it to your GlassWire application. You can do so thanks to new functionality we have introduced from version 3.3.498. The new integration involves some small initial manual setup (only a couple of minutes) which is explained below.
Personal API keys are free of charge for up to 500 queries per day and are issued directly from VirusTotal. Once generated, this API key can be added across multiple endpoints (up to a maximum of 500 calls per day). Once an API key has been linked to your GlassWire app, it will remain linked even after upgrading to new versions of GlassWire. If you need more than 500 queries per day, you can purchase more capacity from VirusTotal directly.

For us using GlassWire we would now have to get our own API key aka personal API key and input it into the software in order to unlock VT once more like so:

1679689242891.png

Interesting situation! So MT friends - thoughts on this change? Any thoughts surrounding the public API key being used in commercial software? Clearly, GlassWire has been in contact with VT; however, I thought the public API was to be used only for public consumption and technically even though I'm using this on a person al product for personal reasons could this cause issues??

Let me know your thoughts folks!

~Brian

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.