Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Computer World said:
Popular domain name registrar and Web and email hosting provider GoDaddy is experiencing a severe outage, one that appears to have taken out not only its hosted services, but even those websites that have registered their domain names through GoDaddy.

In a YouTube video, secretive hacking group Anonymous has taken credit for the outage, claiming the move is a reaction to the company's support of the U.S. government's efforts "to censor and control the Internet," through its support of the Stop Online Privacy Act (SOPA).

GoDaddy has issued a short statement on Twitter, but has not yet given a reason for the outage.

Read more: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9231138/GoDaddy_goes_down_Anonymous_takes_credit

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
I do not find the actions of either anonymous or the US Congress to be in the right. The US congress for trying to shut down access to illegal websites or sue search engines that don't censor their results well enough. And anonymous for shutting down popular websites due to the support to the SOPA. If GoDaddy wants to support the SOPA then let them don't shut down their site. If the US congress wants to pass the act then let them although then they will have to deal with millions of US citizens that do not approve of the SOPA.

If the time has come to shut down popular websites, then time has come to stop SOPA and anonymous.

NOTE: Anonymous' video got removed on YouTube due to violation of Terms Of Service.

Edited: The video its self was removed.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is there another link for that video? I didn't see what it was called, so I don't know what I'm looking for.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
So their hosting services were taken out too? so not only are they attacking godaddy their attacking its users too..

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Anonymous isn't going to make many fans by doing things like this. (Assuming they have fans...)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
3link9 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't MT registered under GD?

Don't know about the domain, can't check it in the who is database either because I'm on my phone, but the hosting is with Hostgator.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
A member of Anonymous who goes by the Twitter handle @AnonymousOwn3r and describes himself as the "security leader of #Anonymous," took responsibility for the attack. "How long do you guys think i should let http://www.godaddy.com/ under my #tangodown," AnonymousOwn3r wrote.
He denied, however, that it was a coordinated effort carried out by Anonymous as a whole; "the attack it's coming only from me," AnonymousOwn3r wrote.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409516,00.asp

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The funny thing is when people do this type of stuff, they will always get caught.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
NOTE: Anonymous' video got removed on YouTube due to violation of Terms Of Service

Of course it did; you must have all of your stuff removed to truly remain anonymous. Didn't you know that? hahaha

SOPA is a joke. We are SO headed for tyranny. It is ridiculous.. Freedom of speech and personal freedoms and privacy are being targeted by all governments. It is sad.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"GoDaddy says internal problem, not hackers, caused massive outage" >> Link

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
"GoDaddy says internal problem, not hackers, caused massive outage" >> Link

Internal hackers??? lolol

I can see where it would be easy to take credit for anything, or nothing, when you are anonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.