App Review GoldenEye Ransomware Demonstration

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hi all,

GoldenEye Ransomware, James Bond is coming to town! Get it? This is a brand new variant of Petya Ransomware which is James Bond themed & well has a golden colour scheme. For more information on this Ransomware: Petya Ransomware Returns with GoldenEye Version, Continuing James Bond Theme

Thanks for watching & hopefully you've enjoyed :)

Upcoming videos:

Christmas Special coming soon: Rootkit, Keyloggers & more!
Malware Removal Guide
Adware Removal Guide

Please let me know which video I should upload next (On Sunday):

VoodooShield Review, Malware Removal Guide or Adware Removal Guide?

Thanks & Merry Christmas - two weeks early :)

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. 41/57 is actually a high detection ratio. Quite surprising that Invincea and Crowd-Strike Falcon still doesn't detect it since they are endpoint products
But 41/57 still means that 16 of those are not detecting this file. It is quite high but if all the other AVs can pickup the file then it should be much much higher. For Ransomware I believe that the detection ratio should be at least 48/57 if not higher.

But fair enough 41 is quite high I guess...

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Very nice review, I cannot decide what has the higher awesomeness factor - Petya with it's flashing skull or speaking Cerber?;) Although the woman's voice isn't that natural / nice ;)
Of course, nobody deserves meeting any of those, I only enjoy reviews on them, like this one, well done @MalwareBlockerYT and thank you for sharing :)

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Very nice review, I cannot decide what has the higher awesomeness factor - Petya with it's flashing skull or speaking Cerber?;) Although the woman's voice isn't that natural / nice ;)
Of course, nobody deserves meeting any of those, I only enjoy reviews on them, like this one, well done @MalwareBlockerYT and thank you for sharing :)
My favourite ransomware is Jigsaw but Cerber, VindowsLocker, Petya, Shade, etc are all very interesting files. Thanks for watching & glad you enjoyed it :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
41/57 = 85.96%, actually that is not a bad result since most common AV are managed to flagged it.

Although some security companies are not so good in terms of response time considering of possible lack in information gathering.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
But 41/57 still means that 16 of those are not detecting this file. It is quite high but if all the other AVs can pickup the file then it should be much much higher. For Ransomware I believe that the detection ratio should be at least 48/57 if not higher.

But fair enough 41 is quite high I guess...
It is sufficient that the sample is obfuscated, for example by including functions such as LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress and the AV recognition will be low enough.
Considering that this code probably includes obfuscation techniques, I think that this VT report is a good code inspection's job by AVs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.