TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Ransomware is one of the most important threats these days, and I'd like to ask if you know some antiviruses with a built-in specifical component to protect from ransomware. By now, I found only 360 TS on the Free side (it detects when a process is attempting to inject code in an other, or when your files are being modified. You only need to click block to stop the ransomware). On the paid side I found bitdefender and I think also kaspersky has a file protection module. Do you have any other antivirus to add?

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Does avast have a specifical component for blocking ransomware? (comodo obviously use his sandbox)
Avast has all kinds of ransomware in its signatures, instead of having a separate component it does what it does best - blocks malware before it even has started to download and if you do go onto a website that is injecting code Avast will 'Abort Connection' to that website. P.S: Avast has an updater which on default keeps Java, browsers, Skype and flash players up-to date. When I used Avast, because of their web blocking component File Shield never came in handy apart from on USBs. I did test it against ransomware/exploits and blocked EVERY website. I disabled Web Shield and their extension and when it started to get into processes it was blocked immediately.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Quihoo HIPS is able to detect when a process is injecting code in an other, and you can block it (ransomware behaviour). It can also detect when files are being hijacked (you can block also this). In setting, you can see "protect my files from being hijacked" is enabled by default. If you open the help page, quihoo explains about ransomware

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

What component?
Qihoo 360 Total Security has advanced heuristics and registry/file protection.

It stops itself from being disabled/edited:
Qihoo Self Protection.PNG

It protects documents in case the ransomware executes before it is blocked:
Qihoo anti ran.PNG

H

hjlbx

At this point in time, they're all fairly good at blocking ransomware - either via signature or other mitigation technique.

@TheMalwareMaster - I assume you are searching for security softs that alert - or automatically block - file\folder modification.

If that is the case, then there is:
  • HitmanPro.Alert (paid)
  • AppGuard (paid) - Lock Down mode blocks everything; use it and you have no absolute need of AV - just occasional companion AV scan... :D
  • COMODO (free) - must add folders or files to HIPS > Protected Objects > Protected Files and/or Protected Data Folders
  • Webroot (paid) - it's rollback feature does work against some ransomware (not sure if all)
  • Emsisoft (paid) - it's behavior blocker now includes anti-exploit\anti-ransomware protections
I would think most of the other paid products include anti-cryptoware as well; I just don't have the specifics for each and every one.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
At this point in time, they're all fairly good at blocking ransomware - either via signature or other mitigation technique.

@TheMalwareMaster - I assume you are searching for security softs that alert - or automatically block - file\folder modification.

If that is the case, then there is:
  • HitmanPro.Alert (paid)
  • AppGuard (paid) - Lock Down mode blocks everything; use it and you have no need of AV... :D
  • COMODO (free) - must add folders or files to HIPS > Protected Objects > Protected Files and/or Protected Data Folders
  • Webroot (paid) - it's rollback feature does work against some ransomware (not sure if all)
  • Emsisoft (paid) - it's behavior blocker now includes anti-exploit\anti-ransomware protections
I would think most of the other paid products include anti-cryptoware as well; I just don't have the specifics for each and every one.
Thank you :) yes, I was looking for software that stops ransomware not only with definitions

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.