Goodbye Coranti :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
We regret to announce that for financial reasons we need to stop our services on Dec 31st, 2012. Thank you for your past support. Coranti K.K.

www.coranti.com

P

Plexx

My only concern is: what happens to the subscribed users.

Coranti itself was far from being light due to its array of engines.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Don't think I ever got round to testing this. Hmm, bit of a shame that they stopped supporting it.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Many of the paid only security vendors are having financial problems.
The majority of users can not afford to buy a paid solution and many that can still use free security products.

In the future I predict that others will also either sell their business to other profitable vendors or close down.

Over the years I have seen the trend for users to move to free security products, these free security vendors who also sell paid versions of their products are at the top for sales. If you give somebody products for free then they are more likely to buy products from you. Also an excellent way to advertise your paid products.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

i agree, also just selling AVs/Suite is not enough nowadays; Comodo, for example, got more incomes from their certificates/corporate products than their suite.

MDTechVideos

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
McLovin said:
Don't think I ever got round to testing this. Hmm, bit of a shame that they stopped supporting it.

I took a look at Coranti early last year just to play around with it a bit(synopsis of results below), but since I began making video reviews I was considering testing their 2013 version when it came out(guess I will be waiting for a while :D).

Biozfear said:
My only concern is: what happens to the subscribed users.

Coranti itself was far from being light due to its array of engines.

Really hit the point home there. Can't vouch for anything before the 2012 version, but it appeared they were using Bitdefender's, F-Prots and Ad-Aware's signatures for the scan, which is not surprising they had a high detection rate(Bitdefender probably accounting for most of the detection). I ran a scan on my computer(not too many programs on it), and after about 2 and a half hours running a full scan(they didn't have any quick or critical area scan options), I gave up. It was also unusual how it ran 2 scans at the same time. My memory is a little blurry but didn't one scan solely use a modified Ad-Aware/Lavasoft anti-spyware engine and the other using BD, F-Prot and Ad-Aware signatures?

With competitors like GData and Trustport doing a better job balancing multiple av engines with performance, it is not shocking to see them go under all the while charging 40 USD for a single license. I do not know about everyone else, but I am not too sad to see this av go.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have never used it and never really had a desire to use it.I have never seen any promos for this let alone discounts.I think charging $40 a pop they would be hard pressed to compete with the more well known AV/Security Suites.I have never seen it loaded on a new PC or in any kind of tests or reviews that I can remember.The only way I know about it was by stumbling upon it a while back.I have to agree with Umbra that many free as well as paid software make the bulk of their money on business/corporate sales.As littlebits pointed out,their are good free solutions out there today and it is really hard in todays world to compete with free.Most home users will use what was installed on the machine they bought and not renew it.I agree that many of the smaller companies are going to eventually meet the same fate as Coranti.It is kind of sad for the simple fact that it is a sign of the times and really a shame whether or not it was good.

If too many of them meet the same fate there wont be nothing to talk about anymore.No more Umbra wisdom or MalwareDoctors soothing voice,that would be truely tragic :p

MDTechVideos

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
White Nobster said:
If too many of them meet the same fate there wont be nothing to talk about anymore.No more Umbra wisdom or MalwareDoctors soothing voice,that would be truely tragic :p

There are just to many security solutions out there period. A lot of the smaller security companies use other companies engines/signatures in their "own" products. When you get down to products that use entirely their own definitions, engines, etc. the number of av's left are reasonably reduced. When a market is oversaturated with competition, the weaker competitors won't be able to survive very long.

The home user security market isn't was it was 5 years ago, and it certainly wont be the same in 5 years to come. Five years ago I had McAfee Security Center. Now with all the free av's out there, why pay for something that isn't as good as the plentiful free alternatives out there? The word of free av's has spread like a wildfire. Most people I know who used to pay for their security each year I see Avast,AVG(Both free versions),and MSE on their computers. As time changes, I feel similarly with Littlebits that this is a good trend for the consumer. As big name companies release free versions of their product, maybe they could convince the consumer to purchase their product if they are satisfied enough to pay for it, or for purchasing a "premium" version?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I remember back when Eset was becoming well known {late version 2} and Comodo Firewall was new,most would say that Paid Security was better than free.That was almost the rule back then.The big firewalls were Sygate,ZoneAlarm and Jetico and the big talk was always what AV worked well with What Firewall.It is really something how times have changed both in terms of Security Software and unfortunately in terms of Malware too.I agree the market is flooded with software and sadly some of the good smaller providers will be eventually pulled under.

Reactions: bribon77

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Earlier companies were focused. As such getting a whole antimalware app was difficult. Once upon a time people recommended the AVG antivirus, with spybot for antispyware or Ewido if you wished to pay.
Zonealarm and Sygate was the firewall choice. But many users had routers and thus installed no firewall.
Slowly companies started releasing suites and attracting customers.

Reactions: bribon77

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
Littlebits said:
The majority of users can not afford to buy a paid solution and many that can still use free security products.

In the future I predict that others will also either sell their business to other profitable vendors or close down.

Over the years I have seen the trend for users to move to free security products, these free security vendors who also sell paid versions of their products are at the top for sales. If you give somebody products for free then they are more likely to buy products from you. Also an excellent way to advertise your paid products.

same thought here, anyone wondered why Bitdefender announced for firt time their free version last year and now the english version? even though i have issues with the quality of their program but even i agree with their marketing methods. its the right way to go! no wonder why Avast is doing very well too ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
malinois165 said:
That's sad news. I was thinking of trying their product.

You can still try it, just won't receive any updates, ha.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
woomera said:
Littlebits said:

same thought here, anyone wondered why Bitdefender announced for firt time their free version last year and now the english version? even though i have issues with the quality of their program but even i agree with their marketing methods. its the right way to go! no wonder why Avast is doing very well too ;)

Yes BitDefender is finally moving in the right direction, but it might be too late now especially if they don't fix the bugs promptly.

Only a few antivirus vendors have achieved popular success globally for home usage. Norton, McAfee, TrendMicro, ESET, MSE, Avast, AVG, Malwarebytes, ZoneAlarm and Avira.

Others like BitDefender, Kaspersky, Dr. Web, Norman, F-Secure, G-Data, Agnitum, Panda, PC Tools, Vipre and Webroot. etc are only popular by location.

So I'm thinking the ones that don't have global popularity will be the first to go under. All are starting to feel the pressure except the vendors offering free products.

Enjoy!!:D

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I just this won't happen to Emsisoft. Emsisoft is really really good, except that it is a little heavy on a netbook system... and something else that i can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.