Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Source: Secunia

It's time to say good bye to PSI.

Today we are announcing the End-of-Life of Personal Software Inspector(PSI). This product will no longer be available from April 20, 2018.

Discontinuing PSI hasn't been an easy decision. Consumer products are not part of Flexera's Strategy to help businesses that develop software and business using software address the challenge of this very dysfunctional supply chain.

In line with our strategy, we remain committed to deliver best-in-class Software Vulnerability Management solutions for businesses.

For users looking to continue to keep their PCs safe, we suggest to use software best practices:

. Turn on automatic updating of all software that support it (e.g. Windows, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, iTunes, Quicktime).

. Always manually run updates on those applications that don't update automatically.

. Remember to restart your computers for changes to take effect.

. Uninstall software that's not in use, and search for updates for software you maintain.

We are thankful for your loyalty and for your support over these many years.

On behalf of

Bob Kelly, Senior Product Manager

--
Best Regards,

Waqas Mahmood
Flexera Software Support

This was my first software updater and I personally am quite sad that the end has come for this software , which has a nostalgic feel to it for me :(

Last edited by a moderator:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
..some alternatives to PSI (source: bleepingcomputer.com): Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) Being Discontinued in April

With PSI being retired, here are some alternative programs that can be used to check for and monitor your installed software for available updates. All of the below are great programs that offer similar functionality as Secunia PSI. I suggest that you try them all and pick the one that best suits your needs.

SUMo (Software Update Monitor)
SUMo is a very popular software update monitor that can be used to scan your computer for applications that need to be updated. SUMo was able to find the greatest amount of software updates on my test machine, but it does not offer direct download and installation of updates and may be suited for more advanced users.

Below is a screenshot of what SUMo detected on my test computer.

uCheck
uCheck is from the creator of RogueKiller and has a cleaner interface that may be easier to use for those who do not have much experience with computers. Below is an image of what it looks like when it detected programs that needed to be updated.

Patch My PC Home Updater
Patch My PC Home Updater is another popular program that can check your computer for updates. While the UI may not be as polished as uCheck, it was able to find a few more programs to update and also performs direct downloads and installation of updates.
patch-my-pc.jpg

Updates Detected by Patch My PC
Do you use a different software monitoring and updating tool? If so, let us know, we would love to hear.

Reactions: FrFc1908

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
Goodbye. I will not miss you. I have always found better alternatives to you.

Reactions: FrFc1908

Butch Marshall

Level 1
Verified
Mar 5, 2017
Will we still be able to run Secunia PSI?

And, what's wrong with CCleaner? I use it only for cleaning junk and reg files. Is it safe?

BTW, using free version from Piriform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.