Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro
Malewarebytes Anti-Malware
Webroot SecureAnywhere
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome; Vivaldi, Firefox. uBlockO, UblockO websocket, Canvas Defender, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, LastPass; OneTab,
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, HitmanPro.Alert, Prcess Lasso
File and Photo backup
Veeam, local & cloud
System recovery
MS, Veeam
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/1m3ks-rockin-laptop.62494/

TipsEasy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2013
Hi all, my crappy little HP can barely keep up, never-mind when I look to see 84 ADD tabs open! So I keep trying to find basic, minimal resource using defenses. This config has been working just great the past 4-5 months, no problems.

D

Deleted member 178

I see you made it Deb, well done ^^

If your machine can't handle a realtime Antivirus, you may use virtualization softwares like shadow defender, sandboxie or others to. complement HMPA

I guess you have safe habits.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Great :)

What are the specs of your HP Comp? Some very light AV might just work- or maybe not... dun dun dun :D

LOL In all seriousness maybe AppGuard, Shadow Defender, Toolwiz Time Freeze, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, or may I suggest Webroot might work on your system, just the specs matter

TipsEasy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2013
I almost hate to say this aloud but this little set-up seems work like a boss ;) Have tried many light, good AV and they all seem to quickly bog down. HitManPro Alert 3 seems to be doing a terrific job - it has great mitigation and anti-exe. I will take a look at suggestions tho. FYI, I do a lot of research online, very ADD, but also I try to surf-smart. :cool:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I almost hate to say this aloud but this little set-up seems work like a boss ;) Have tried many light, good AV and they all seem to quickly bog down. HitManPro Alert 3 seems to be doing a terrific job - it has great mitigation and anti-exe. I will take a look at suggestions tho. FYI, I do a lot of research online, very ADD, but also I try to surf-smart. :cool:
I don't think HMP.A is an anti-exe. If it was, then it should have been bogging me (I also use HMP.A :D ) with alerts whenever I launch programs.
At the least, I recommend HitmanPro for your on-demand scanner.

TipsEasy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2013
I don't think HMP.A is an anti-exe. If it was, then it should have been bogging me (I also use HMP.A :D ) with alerts whenever I launch programs.
Yep, got it - forgot to mention I do use HitmanPro on-demand. Was just looking at Surfright's HMP.A 3 page, and it sure seems pretty comprehensive coverage to me, although, I did mention earlier to someone that I know enough to be dangerous - to myself! :rolleyes: I've been using this config for sometime now & have wondered what the community would think of it, feel free to share thoughts. Compared to a lot of folks I'm pretty cautious online, don't knowingly fool around with bugs out there & try to keep them from getting in.

I see you made it Deb, well done ^^

If your machine can't handle a realtime Antivirus, you may use virtualization softwares like shadow defender, sandboxie or others to. complement HMPA

I guess you have safe habits.
Ya, pretty safe habits I think. I've been meaning to ask, and probably will just ask the dev, over on the other channel, but it seems as if my system is, in effect, sandboxied. I am online a lot yet so, kept safe.
I really appreciate all the feedback! MT rocks!

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think your concept of configuration is goes to hardening protection, you may try Appguard and configure on how it will limit those applications to run based on numerous conditions, its a little bit complex but worth to try.

You need as much as possible a reference detection capability like SecureAplus that provides numerous engine by cloud/whitelisting or Voodoshield that detects any interaction based on engine guides.

Reactions: Logethica

TipsEasy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2013
This ^ does seem the direction I'm going. This little notebook/laptop wanna-be, that's replacing a lovely Vaio (stolen ... ;( just can't handle many of the resource hogging programs I've tried. ESET, Wisecare, etc. This latest config is working good for me, & I'm following a lot of suggestions from here, particularly "Umbra's Concept of layered Config". Kinda fun learning some new stuff. :cool:
Thanks everyone for your feedback, MT rocks!!

TipsEasy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2013
Hi XhenEd - a very late response to you. I think HPA is anti-exe, from thier site:
HitmanPro.Alert - SurfRight
"The unique technologies in HitmanPro.Alert 3 are designed to stop threats before they emerge and aims to protect your vulnerable software, data and identity against current and future attacks, without requiring prior knowledge of the attack or malicious program."
I've been using HPA for 5+ months, without any intrusions, attacks, problems (that I know of :cool:). It's been lightweight on my system, & I seem to have good protection.

D

Deleted member 178

HMPA is not an anti-exe , just an anti-exploit.*

anti-exe = block any executable from running ; definitely not what HMPA does.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Hello, for basic and light protection (with HitmanPro) use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall - simple, easy and light setup :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.