Status
Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Average Joe uses a computer for Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Media Creation, writing documents, mails, and sheets, watching movies and listening some music. For most of that stuff the build in security features will not interfere with the user, as it will not ask for elevation privileges. Anything beyond doesn't fall into the same bucket as the average Joe.

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Folks, Windows Defender is the future.

I believe Microsoft has made the calculation that they will win any anti trust suit brought against them in the future.

Even 70 year old normie judges and certainly jurors understand the need for good default security.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Windows Defender is "a well-behaved AV" I, however, think there are others. Avast hasn't failed me yet and had little problems. I use it in conjunction with things like Block mode smart screen and max UAC. :)

Reactions: simmerskool

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Security without usability will just make people lazy . For example, forcing password changes on a regular basis instead of on event results in people using weaker passwords that are almost the same version as the old one. Especially the average joe who needs it the most, a security product is useless when you can't convince people to use it.
@ZeroDay Windows Defender is also more popular than the other antivirus and are used by people who don't care about security. It might be economic. Also, why would a company with a market of complaining lowest common denominator let their users use beta software when they don't even let them use Applocker and stuff? I doubt there'd be incentive to do so especially when there's already Insiders for that. Would the data they collect from someone who doesn't have feedback be useful?
that is MS fault , if hey took the Linux way earlier, those questions won't happen.
Linux has 1-2% market share. You're also assuming Linux and Microsoft have the same audience.

Microsoft should have the data. If they're competent and it's profitable for them to do so. They'd be able to use the most secure + most usable + low enough skill floor for their market to actually be able to benefit from it without thought. Of course with the least stability or compatibility problems.
Of course I don't have their data nor know their reasons for stuff. Some data aren't even conclusive given the lack of causes you can ascribe them to. There also might not be reason for removal of stuff they put in that was a mistake/didn't work as expected. Implementing these also takes a lot of time. Murphy's Law also exists.

Average Joe uses a computer for Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Media Creation, writing documents, mails, and sheets, watching movies and listening some music. For most of that stuff the build in security features will not interfere with the user, as it will not ask for elevation privileges. Anything beyond doesn't fall into the same bucket as the average Joe.
Windows 10 S, Chromebooks, tablets and smartphones will attempt to capture those. If they don't like it, they probably have reason to use a more powerful OS/hardware/keyboard+mouse+large screen. It just takes time and if it's a good investment, we'll reach an equilibrium where your needs match the capabilities of the OS when people have been made more aware about all these other softs.

Last edited by a moderator:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Before switching to Comodo I tried WD and it was cool. But again, I can't use it on any computer that's not running an SSD. The WD service will use a lot of HDD, prob related to some of the WD task that execute in the background like regular scans and regular maintenance. 99%HDD usage was to much for the computers that I have at home and that are not running SSD, but on the one that has an SSD it runs smooth and clever. This is the only downside I could of note about WD.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
But, i agree somehow about windows defender is the only av not making everything less stable
Agreed, but a little more focused is the fact that It's not interfering with Google's Telemetry, hence why
Google likes it and is tickled pink.
You can apply any meaning to it that suits you, but I guanratee that was the root cause even if Google is
not going to stand up and admit to it. ;)

Nice point, well made, agree totally :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Actually, I have no idea. But it's the most stable, reliable application for that particular purpose that I know and it includes all functions my customers demand. I'm in no place to have them rewrite their app or switching to a program with mediocre functions just because of the Windows UAC prompt. But I know my customers don't want to see them, so UAC gets turned off. Had MS thought for a minute and made the requests adressable as "ignore", UAC protection would still be around for the rest of the system. Now, it's off completely. Sometimes well meant isn't well done.
I don't question the feature or efficiency of the soft you are using; just the way it was coded. Most devs don't take account multi-users systems ;they code their soft assuming people uses admin account without UAC; which is wrong.
This is a well know topic since among developers,.

You don't really think I get third parties to switch to all kinds of apps while e-mail has been around for decades and is working just fine? No chance. Since this is only on Outlook problem, Outlook doesn't get used any more.
And why not? i give you a better way than outlook , you ignore it...you prefer whining about Outlook rather than use a far better procedure...
You should look around you, there is a famous site called "github" : Build software better, together it is the main site for developers exchange/sharing ; emails are made to share docs not programs.

Yep, I'm utterly clueless. I never stated that Windows 10 isn't safer than earlier versions, though. No idea where you got that from.
you say "they dumbing down" , improving is not dumbing , sorry , if you can't handle it.

In the actual world, where the humans live, computers are used to get stuff done. That cashier at Wal-Mart wants to cut through the queue and not answer prompts. The waitress wants to hack in her orders for the cook with as few clicks as possible in order to make it to the next table. You go tell them how unimportant usablility is or try to sell their boss a perfectly secure but awkwardly usable solution. Please tape it for me.
I probably don't have to mention that they don't really torrent and mostly use that one app only all day for years. Yes, constantly repeated UAC prompts for that same program make a world of sense.
no basic programs (whatever it is) should trigger UAC, you still don't get it right. You have UAC alerts because you are on admin account. Try to be on SUA, you will see.
I use many softs every day, i don't have a single UAC alert (unless i request elevation) so why do you have alerts and i don't?
Did you see the Wannacry infection and those hospitals infected, now they all cry because they didn't care to prioritize security ... they were lazy and ignorant , and now they pay the price...

With everything in life comes responsibility. You want to operate a car or operate heavy machinery, you gotta watch out. Even get a licence. When you use a computer, you better know what you're doing as well. If you ignore every lick of common (not even computer-related) sense, you will get infected. And that will have you make use of that hat stand the next time around.
I totally agree with that but we are humans, and we may fail to respond properly someday, it is why we have some features/watchers on Windows for those days...

What MS does is dumb down solutions that needn't be dumbed down. That's curing the symptom instead of the disease.
What you believe was dumbed down? give me some examples.

On a side note, just another fine example came to mind that stems from the same kind of folks that are just too removed from the real world: We had this password policy where every user had to change their password after 30 days for an application we needed once or twice a week. Since everybody already had a thousand PINs and passwords, they just added the number of the month to their password. So secure.
indeed nobody can remember hundreds of passwords, but you have methods and softs to ease that.

Our productivity went down-hill, since we often had to wait for "the guy with the password", IT had more unnecessary jobs and we weren't a lick safer. Great job. This is exactly MS's mindset.
But still better than stopping working for a week because an idiot employee launched a ransomware and locked all files of every users in the network...
More threats are coming, from angles we don't even know, malware coders are very smart; so there is no "too much" security in computing,
using an analogy : i prefer be checked 5 times at the airport rather than letting a terrorist pass...

Linux has 1-2% market share. You're also assuming Linux and Microsoft have the same audience.
You misunderstand me, why Linux is considered as safer than windows?
Because it uses a multi-account architecture, each account separated from the others, and when you install Linux, you are not on admin account by default.
Windows saw the importance of that and then copied it when developing Vista. However so many users are used to admin account so they created UAC to ease the usability. for those using SUA.
I'm waiting the day Windows will totally separate users accounts like Linux does.

lols.. and for make any kind of action ( installing, copy, delete, move...) u had 100 popups abouth yes not cancel give acces.. no thx.. too many things
Because you do what a normal user shouldn't. Now if you want modify system files , you wont mind answering a popup. Normal actions don't triggers UAC, admin ones (aka those with the shield) does it .
If i listen you every noobs should be allow to manipulate every areas of his system and then brick it at will...come on...
you don't give a access to your bank account to your 10 years old kid...same principle.

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
leaving the heavyweight technical jargon apart, i have found WD in the same league with some big shot in the industry if one compares pure antivirus. just disable the extra security feature from any reputed antivirus and than compare raw engine vs raw engine

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Agreed, but a little more focused is the fact that It's not interfering with Google's Telemetry, hence why
Google likes it and is tickled pink.
You can apply any meaning to it that suits you, but I guanratee that was the root cause even if Google is
not going to stand up and admit to it. ;)
So according to you, which AV blocks Google's telemetry?:D

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
So according to you, which AV blocks Google's telemetry?:D
There are a few that can be "configured" to interfere with it or block it altogether, try to do it with defender,
you can't, you would have to rely on Windows firewall with the help of some 3rd party tools.
not even hostfile blocking would last long the way google does their servers.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
You misunderstand me, why Linux is considered as safer than windows?
Because it uses a multi-account architecture, each account separated from the others, and when you install Linux, you are not on admin account by default.
Windows saw the importance of that and then copied it when developing Vista. However so many users are used to admin account so they created UAC to ease the usability. for those using SUA.
I'm waiting the day Windows will totally separate users accounts like Linux does.
I think you also misunderstood me. There's no real data that Microsoft's audience will like the Linux sudo even if they initially did implement it.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I think you also misunderstood me. There's no real data that Microsoft's audience will like the Linux sudo even if they initially did implement it.
When did MS care what people like? They just don't want to do it because it changes their product in a way they don't want to change it.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
When did MS care what people like? They just don't want to do it because it changes their product in a way they don't want to change it.
The fact is that some people think that buying a license of Windows or a PC with pre-installed it, they think they are owners of the Windows OS.
In fact, you pay for the right to use Windows but you don't become owner.
People think to decide and change things about a product that doesn't really belong to them.
That is.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I should agree that Windows Defender is the most behaved AV because of the components that are pure reactive, so it will easy for Microsoft AV team to maintain the false positive rates and monitor for more samples.

Microsoft's move on security built in features are quite fine considering majority of users who use the computer are not within the level of Advance, however I should agree that it must be well inform about the usage of UAC from the first place (introduction in Vista); so that people will not create a common hysterical reason that UAC is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.