Google Chrome to Block Backspace Key from Working as "Back" Button

Do you use Backspace as the "Back" button on your browser?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Occasionally, enough to matter

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Rarely, not enough to matter

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alkajak

Thread author
Description

Remove the default backspace event handler.

We have UseCounters showing that 0.04% of page views navigate back via the backspace button and 0.005% of page views are after a form interaction. The latter are often cases where the user loses data. Years of user complaints have been enough that we think it's the right choice to change this given the degree of pain users feel by losing their data and because every platform has another keyboard combination that navigates back.

We're doing this via a flag so that we can control this behavior should there be sufficient outcry.

Committed: a9fc5462ba084936191d51a9391ec5255e79a930 - chromium/src - Git at Google
Cr-Commit-Position: refs/heads/master@{#386433}

Big change for Chrome users, in my opinion. I use mouse button 4 and 5 for back/forward, but I do occasionally use Backspace as well.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Definitely block the backspace key, since the main purpose for that is for typing and not as alternative button.

Some websites does not optimize much, on that case Google Chrome made a fine move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ink

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I'm all for it being removed, it's caused more problems for me than it's been helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.