Google Chrome Update failed (error: 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Just downloaded and installed Google Chrome 25.0.1364.5 Dev from Filehippo.
And I always have this error -
Update failed (error: 3)An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80040154).
Screenshot
Please help me out friends if want with teamviewer also u can help.
I've had this problem in win 7 too and this is the 1st time I installed chrome in win 8 64 bit here also same :( :(

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Here is the official Google note for Error 3 - http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=111996

Google said:
Error 3 is a failure to communicate with Google Update.

Check if you're running Vista/ 7 and you have configured Google Chrome to always run as administrator.
This is a known issue with the Google Chrome auto-updating mechanism and can be avoided by simply running Google Chrome as a normal user. Additionally, keep in mind that for security reasons we recommend that you don't elevate the privilege of Google Chrome to administrator.

As an additional note,I had the same problem when I've downloaded Chrome from FileHippo.... Try to uninstall Google Chrome ,and then download and install it from the official Google link.
Download link for Google Developer version:
Code:
https://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?extra=devchannel

Attachments

• dev.jpg
    dev.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,559

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Ok sir will uninstall it and install from the link u gave. Thanks for the quick reply Jack sir :). Please wait for me dont go offline thanks

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
hehe done lol I had also googled about this error and got onto this page http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=111996
where written You can also try reinstalling Google Chrome and install through an alternate installer
where alternate installer link was the link which Jack sir gave above but I took Jack sir's post seriously and thought to try it and worked.
But no credit to take away from u Jack sir thank u for the link and the help :D
Also I wanted to know the reason as y this error solved when installed from google's link and filehippo not work. Any modification in the installer is it ?

D Bone

May 28, 2011
I use fileHippo because it doesn't install all of the Google Chrome auto-update junk. No services, no scheduled tasks, ect.. You were only getting that error because you weren't linked up to mother Google's update server............You should've just left well enough alone, and updated via fileHippo whenever they had a new version.

Check your services, now there are two Google entries and one set to auto. Also, there are two entries in your scheduled task too.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
whizkidraj said:
Also I wanted to know the reason as y this error solved when installed from google's link and filehippo not work. Any modification in the installer is it ?
I have no idea why the installer from FileHippo doesn't allow us to check for the Google update, but it's something on their side for sure because like you I have seen that Error 3.
As a tip, I would advice you to avoid FileHippo or any other 3rd party hosting site,and whenever possible go for the direct source of a program.

Here are the official links for Google Chrome, Google Chrome Beta , Google Chrome Developer and Canary build: http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Thank you Jack sir for the links again :) and @ DBone I just didn't understood this sentence of urs "You should've just left well enough alone, and updated via fileHippo whenever they had a new version."
Does this mean that I should have just left this problem alone and inorder to get updates to new google chrome version I should have uninstalled the previous and install the latest from FileHippo.
Ok np now my problem is solved and auto-update feature works.
Also one more problem I just saw while viewing youtube videos I did get that download with IDM tab on th upper right cornet of the videos but it is showing only 1 download menu i.e the flv content even though the video is of 1080p and i checked the same in mozilla and it loads with drop menus to download all quality.
My Idm is of latest 6.14 build 3 and google chrome version posted as above. So how to get the same all menus in google chrome also

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
D Bone said:
Check your services, now there are two Google entries and one set to auto. Also, there are two entries in your scheduled task too.
True. Thanks man :)

D Bone

May 28, 2011
It wasn't a "problem". You only perceived it as a problem. If you are a member of this forum, then I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that you like to do manual updates of your software, and not auto updates. Both FileHippo and MajorGeeks have the latest Chrome the day after Google releases it, so you are only 24hrs behind. Then you just download the new installer, run it, and you're done....... No extra services running on your machine.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
D Bone said:
It wasn't a "problem". You only perceived it as a problem. If you are a member of this forum, then I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that you like to do manual updates of your software, and not auto updates. Both FileHippo and MajorGeeks have the latest Chrome the day after Google releases it, so you are only 24hrs behind. Then you just download the new installer, run it, and you're done....... No extra services running on your machine.
ok yes I do manual updates for all other softwares but not for browsers I like its automatic updates always. What u suggest to get rid of that extra services yes it is nice but I as i said above I like auto-update only for browsers. Thanks for the suggestion mate. appreciate it:) Now please help me with the IDM problem. Thanks :)

D Bone

May 28, 2011
If you change your mind, and want to be the one in control of when Chrome updates simply by hitting the "about Chrome" tab once a week and having Chrome then update itself if a new version is out, then you can use these settings to kill the services from running by themselves.

1) Set both Google Chrome services to manual. (not disabled!)
2) Delete both scheduled task entries
3) Disable the Google Update plugin

With the above settings you have the best of both worlds. You can still update via Chrome itself, but only when you ask it to.

Sorry..................Can't help you with your IDM issue!

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
thanks man for this manual update steps as I'm a newbie to chrome so learning more and this would help me.
And No Problem for the IDM I think it would be fixed in the latest version of IDM as this google build is dev version so might be some bugs for latest chrome dev as I remember I'd this issue before in firefox also but after update of new version of IDM it got solved so lets see and wait for the update. Now I'm in a bit hurry will google this problem later or post here later. But yes if anyone can help me with this idm issue please post.
Great day for me, learning 2 new things small but useful as I love softwares and security of my PC.
Thanks and yes here the screenshot of the IDM issue
Firefox (No problem here) - http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7734/13113374.jpg
Google Chrome - http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1801/34253179.jpg

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
whizkidraj said:
Google Chrome - http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1801/34253179.jpg

I think it's a Google Dev. bug, I've also seen the missing fields in my Adblock options.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the IDM extension.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Jack said:
I think it's a Google Dev. bug, I've also seen the missing fields in my Adblock options.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the IDM extension.
Uninstalled and reinstalled IDM extension still the same -
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7389/69135442.jpg
doesn't also show the video quality here like in firefox and I got these second mp4 bar only after changing the quality of video to 720p manually. In firefox also when idm version not up-to-date with latest firefox it used to show only one bar of idm download but atleast used to show the quality numbers like 720p HD , 480p , 1080p but in chrome that also not showing.
Please users using IDM extension in google chrome check if u have the same problem or not and help and reply please. Thanks :|

Lalatendu

Jul 14, 2015
If You are getting the above error the best way is just type on address bar..."download and install google chrome" and search.
and download and install it from first link i.e, google support.
that's it ... it ll resolved ..i had this issue and it now resolved...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Try other alternatives like from Majorgeeks or this open source main website Chromium Website .

Sometimes better to download from the main developers where issues are not totally present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.